Radiator Questions

Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
My radiator appears to have a small leak - I think it is at the seam between the plastic tank and the metal core. After 175,000 miles, I really can't complain.

Who makes good radiators?
Does anyone build a replacement all-metal one, or will I have to accept plastic tanks again?
Does anyone build a larger replacement one?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was able to buy a 3 core, all brass rad. for my '93 Ranger from Radiator Warehouse here in Las Vegas for about $170, if I remember correctly. They only have brass for the manuals though, they said the auto. trans. line did'nt fit properly so they dont't want to hassle with them for warranty reasons.

griffin makes great radioators for racing application cars see if you can find something on them

175,000 miles ? I would stick with what you know works.

I highly recommend radiator.com. It only cost 168 dollars for mine.

Nice try, but Radiator.com only sells plastic tank OEM radiators for Explorers. You can't get all metal from them for our trucks.

If you can find all metal for an Explorer let me know...

I/you may have to get a custom one made.

Autozone has the all metal ones:D

I went into AutoZone, and asked the guy some questions. He said they sell "the factory radiator that came in the truck" which I equate to the same OEM plastic tank radiator.

Now, I asked him, "do you know if it is all metal or not" and he said, "I don't know, we don't have any in stock".
It cost $239.00 so for that price, it could be all metal, I just don't know.

radiator

Scott, I had pretty much the same problem for my '93 Explorer. I replaced the thermostat, everything.. but anyways... after getting price quotes from Autozone, Checker, Pep Boys and some local radiator shops I searched the internet and found radiatorbarn.com
I paid somewhere around hundred bucks I believe(i'll have to dig the reciept out) with free shipping.
It is the original factory style or a copy with the plastic and all that, sorry no metal. I strongly suggest you check them out, I'd reccomend them without a doubt and one of the girls I work with ordered from them and she had great service too.
radiatorbarn.com

You could get one custom made. But it would cost so much money that it won't be worth it. I was looking for a stronger radiator because my old one had a mount rip out and take part of the plastic tank with it.

Back