Radiator support rust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator support rust

I have rust on the radiator support sheet metal directly behind the front bumper. This is the piece on a 94 that has several holes drilled thru it and has two hoses connected to it. It appears to be part of the front end sheet metal and not a seperate piece. Any ideas how to fix this? At this time its not completely rusted thru.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could make a patch, that is the easy-cheap.
Replacing the core sup, not so easy not so cheap.

I was thinking of adding a piece of metal and then using por -15 to coat it all. Otherwise I guess it means either splicing in a new piece or replacing the entire section. The sheet metal above it is also rusted.

Upon further inspection, it appears that its going to need a core support. My motors manual shows about 9 hrs labor plus parts. Any idea how to do it for less.?

Less time or less money?

Isnt less time and less money the same thing? If it has to go into a shop for the repair I guess less money!
My buddy who was head of auto for an insurance co
felt that if you piece a section in its going to rust at the
welds. But if you replace the entire section, its still going to need to be welded so whats the difference?

Do you want to do it your self or send it out ?

Send it out. Unless of course the body shop charges are so high that its ridiculous. I am going to get an estimate from a body shop tomorrow and will let you know what they say.

Okay sending it out, I can help save you some bucks, espicially if you can nab a trailer or some thing.
Take off the fenders, front bumper, headlights, remove the radiator and AC condenser. ( you'll need the means to evacuate and recharge the AC however )

Much of the cost involved in such a repair will be in that process.

Here are the body shop estimate. First guy $836 negotiated down to $725; second shop $610 negotiated to $575.

The problem with DIY as you pointed out is once its dissambled then I would still need someone to MIG weld the new one. If you ever saw my MIG skills you would understand why.

Let them do the swap, just take all the bolt on parts off for them. Taking off the fenders, headlights and bumper will significantly reduce your bill.

Back