• Register Today It's free!

Radio Controls

Bdt1967

Reaction score
City, State
Hutchinson, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountianeer AWD
I have an 03 Mountaineer, the truck has the steering wheel controls for the radio. The factory radio is going nuts, clicking and not playing cd’s. I would like to replace the unit however I would like to retain the steering wheel controls. Is my only option to go back with a factory radio?

Thanks
Andy

Going with a stock unit will be the easiest route if you wanted to retain your steering wheel controls. Though if you wanted to use an aftermarket stereo, you can by a kit that will interface the steering wheel controls with your new headunit. If you are good with wiring, it will be an easy install, also any car audio shop will install it for you. Below is a link to a few kits:

http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/steering_wheel_control.html?nvpair=FFCategory|[rank118900]Steering+Wheel+Audio+Control+Adapters

depending on the steering control interface, some are even plug-n-play. Additionally some Alpine & Kenwood aftermarket radios have part of the interface built into the aftermarket radio.

This is a VERY VERY common request these days & has been for going on 10+ years. Heck many GM's for that matter have had steering wheel mounted controls since the mid-late 80's.

Don't worry about choosing an interface, let whomever is the installer choose the interface he or she is comfortable with. Its like vehicle alarms, the part is only as good as the installer.

Rob

Back