99 steering wheel w/radio controls?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 steering wheel w/radio controls??

Ak LTD Xplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 LIMITED OFF ROAD 4X4
ok my limited is a 96..but in 99 they added radio control's to the steering wheel..so could i switch out sterring wheel's from a 99 with my 96 and somehow wire up all the radio control's?

thank's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

probably, may need to wire up a 99 radio too

the steering wheel with radio controls came out in 98. They are so nice.... not sure how wiring it would be though- good luck

hmm sound's like it might be kinda hard..hmm im up for ir..now just to find a wheel..

check wrecking yards... not too sure though if youll find one that new with the airbag still intact though....

my girls jeep has the radio controls on the back of the wheel. it's a real nice feature, wish i had it.

im going to go yo my NORMAL junk yard..and see what he has..if there's nothing there im gonna go to a few other's..i like this idea

PM BIG COUNTRY, he's done alot of those EB and Limited swaps, maybe he did the Steering wheel too?

I don't think he did the steering wheel. But if you're getting the steering wheel, be sure to get the air bag also because it's a whole different design compared to your '95's air bag. I don't know if there're any incompatibilities with your current SRS system but be careful.

yeah..i know the air bag is different also..thank's..my biggest prob is the color of the wheel..there no way it wold match..mine's that saddle tan..and they only used it from 95-96..i i need to see how bad it would be

You can get a black one. I know for a fact that the '98 and early '99 Eddie Bauers are black. What I mean about different airbags is that the computer system for the airbags are different. Yours is the 1st generation airbag while the 2nd generation ('98 to present) is reduced force, which I believe may use different programming for deployment. So like I said, double check and make sure everything is compatible.

aww who need's air bag's..LOL..i will try to get the computer then as well..thank's

no not black..that was one reson i wanted a limited so much..no black sterring wheel!

You can get them on Ebay...the ones from the mountianeer look pretty sick.

ok i found one..but it's black..but if i have to get black...

21_1.jpg

Black matches everything!! None of the steering wheels you want will match our unique interior color. Heh...shoulda gotten a '97, that's when they started using Medium Pierre Tan.

yeah..but the saddle tan look's 1000000 times better then that light tan..i like the bark tan

i could get this wheel cheap too

You will also need the clock spring to carry the harness.
There very likely will be an air bag issue though not 100% sure.

yeah..the guy wouldent ship to ak..i was allredy looking at "clock spring"..ect on e-bay also..thank's!

Back