Random jerking that comes and goes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Random jerking that comes and goes

Jeremybrwn

Reaction score
City, State
Lampasas tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer xls
Hey all, so a random jerking started about a week ago while driving. It happens on acceleration for what I can tell, it happens at different speeds. It’s done it at 25mph to 60mph. Like I said it’s just random, it may do it 5 times a day and none the next. Sometimes it last 4 or 5 seconds and sometimes half a second. It feels like it’s underneath vehicle, but I can’t tell for sure.

Took it to a shop today, was told everything was in spec from what they can see. The looked at the U joints which were good, brakes and rotors not sticking, he said everything is good that he can see.

It’s not throwing codes. I’ve replaced the fuel pump and filter in last year, I’ve replaced plugs and wires around the same time. Intake gaskets are less than a year old. So I’m stumped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How new are your tires? Might be the auto 4x4 feature kicking in and out.

How new are your tires? Might be the auto 4x4 feature kicking in and out.
Sorry I should have added it’s a 2wd. TIres are 3 months old. Maybe 3k on them.

Sorry I should have added it’s a 2wd. TIres are 3 months old. Maybe 3k on them.
I had a similar problem with an 03 Ford explore four-wheel-drive. After trying to chase it down for about a year it turned out to be that my tires had a different circumferential length, and this was causing the antilock brakes to engage and try and fight and adjust to the perceived slippage of the wheels. Doesn’t matter how new your tires are, you need to take a measuring device, either a piece of string or a soft measuring tape, and wrap it around each tire after jacking it up and measure the difference by marking the string with a felt pen and compare the mark location between each wheel. If it’s off by more than about an 1/8” to 3/8 of an inch you’re going to have problems that feel like a jerking action during acceleration. I had to buy new tires and all my jerking went away.

I'm having a similar issue. I put new tires on the front only. Rears were still decent but definitely less tread than new. The chugging happened only on acceleration or coasting about 40mph. I recently put tires on the rear that have thicker tread than the front and now I get chugging during acceleration, coasting, and deceleration.

Probably a dumb question, but is my issues the different sized tires? Or is there something else going on?

Jeremybrwn, did you get your problem solved? If so, what was the fix?

I'm having a similar issue. I put new tires on the front only. Rears were still decent but definitely less tread than new. The chugging happened only on acceleration or coasting about 40mph. I recently put tires on the rear that have thicker tread than the front and now I get chugging during acceleration, coasting, and deceleration.

Probably a dumb question, but is my issues the different sized tires? Or is there something else going on?

IM I’ll working on a fix.it will be put in shop wed. They were saying it may be tranny.

If your Explorer is 4x4 you need 4 New tires. 4 tires that are the exact same brand, type, size, and age.

Search this site and google, it’s a well covered issue on these Explorers.

I would say if your Explorer has an antisway and or traction control system the tires are highly likely the problem causing the chugging/jerking feeling when accelerating. Feels like a transmission issue, a 4-wheel lock in and out issue, and just weird. Mine was most noticeable to me when getting on the freeway. I found a thread on the issue and the guy pointed out the tire circumference issue so I measured my tires with a piece of string wrapped around the tire in the middle of the width and found them to range nearly 3/4" in different circumference from the smallest to the largest. I also checked my new tires to make sure they were in spec. Four new tires later and all of the jerking ended at once.

I would say if your Explorer has an antisway and or traction control system the tires are highly likely the problem causing the chugging/jerking feeling when accelerating. Feels like a transmission issue, a 4-wheel lock in and out issue, and just weird. Mine was most noticeable to me when getting on the freeway. I found a thread on the issue and the guy pointed out the tire circumference issue so I measured my tires with a piece of string wrapped around the tire in the middle of the width and found them to range nearly 3/4" in different circumference from the smallest to the largest. I also checked my new tires to make sure they were in spec. Four new tires later and all of the jerking ended at once.

Thanks @Robert R and @Gmctyphoon - Sounds like its time for some new tires all around it. I'll give that a shot!

FYI got two new tires on rear to match front, chugging is now gone.

Thanks all!

Back