Ranger 2wd trans into 4x4 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger 2wd trans into 4x4 explorer?

chrisfletcher

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Hey everyone,

I discoved im in need of a tranny. Popped the cover off mine, and found absolutely zero oil in it. the gears arnt missing teeth, but i have a feeling that the trans has been overheated.

I read the 'stickies' and got a little confused. Is an md05 r1, an md05 r1, period, end of story, or do the 2wd and 4x4's differ? I found a 1990 ranger, with the 2.9 motor, 2wd with a 4 speed with overdrive. I also found a 1991 ranger, 2wd, with an unkown-to-me 4cyl, with 8 sparkplugs and 2 coilpacks....also 4spd with overdrive.

Will either of these work in my 4x4 1993 explorer? From what i read in the stickies, unless im mistaken, these are the trans im looking for. can someone please point me in the right direction? the rangers trans are 75$ each at the junkyard.... but the only junkyard that has an explorer trans is a very expensive one, and is 300$.

Also, where can i get the metal freezeplugs?

Thanks everyone,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the one behind a 2.9 engine will bolt up to your explorer. I don't think the tail shaft is the right length. I know in the automatics (A4LD's) you have to disassemble them to change out the output (tail) shaft because of a difference in the length between 4WD and 2WD.

the 4 cylinder (2.3 & 2.5) trannys will not bolt up. neither will the V6 (3.0) trannys from a Ranger.

happy hunting............maybe somebody else will add to what little I know...

j

I don't think a 2wd Ranger transmission will bolt up to a t-case that easily.

Now, if you found a 2wd Bronco2, it would work fine. As the 2wd B2's had a "dummy" t-case. So all Bronco 2 transmissions will work on a 4wd.

so out of the ones that i found, im out of luck, and none will work? bythe sounds of things i need either a bronco II or an explorer?

How does the 300$ pricetag sound for one of of an explorer. they pull it themselves, so im sure this adds to the price. I was hoping to find a little cheaper.... thanks,
chris

if you can find one out of a 4wd, any *should* work.
but only a 2wd Bronco2 transmission will easily "convert" to 4x4 due to the dummy t-case they had.

But an M5OD out of a 4x4 vehicle should be fine.
an M5OD out of a 2wd Ranger or Explorer will have a different tailshaft, due to no t-case, and will not work.

excuse my questions. im sure they've been asked before, but i cannot for the life of me figure out that 'sticky'....

so it needs to be from any year 2wd bronco II, or what 4x4 md05's will work? rangers, explorers, (i heard a rumor about a mazda b4000 and mountaineer??)

i appreciate the help guys!

I can't remember what yr they started using the M5OD.... iirc, I don't believe the B2 had an M5OD, although there were about 3 or 4 different model transmissions used.
a Mazda B5000 very well could have that transmission, too, as it was basicallya re-badged Ranger.
The M5OD transmission is made by Mazda, iirc.

am i mistaken? do i not have an M50D in my explorer? im terribly confused as to which vehicles i should even be looking for at the junkyards, to snag a trans out of.

from the sticky:
1991-2000 Ranger/Explorer with the 4.0OHV engine:
The Mazda M5OD-R1 is the only manual transmission used in Ranger/Explorer with this engine.

so the only vehicle you will find that transmission in, is a '91-2000 Ranger or Explorer with the 4.0L V6.

due to you having 4WD, you will need to find the transmission out of a vehicle that had 4WD, otherwise the tailshafts will be different. You cannot bolt a t-case to a 2wd transmission without replacing the tailshaft to accept the t-case.

1988-1992 Rangers (4x4) / Bronco II (4x4 & 2wd) 2.9 engine can be;
1) Mitsubishi FM146 (2.9 4x4 ONLY)
2) Mazda M5OD-R1 (4x4 version)

ok, so you can find the same transmission ALSO under 88-92 4x4 Rangers, and 88-90 4wd OR 2wd Bronco2's.

you may be able to find the same transmission under the 3.0L and 4 cylinders, but those will have a different bellhousing. They could work, if the bellhousings are removable on both the existing transmission and the replacement transmission. And as long as the bellhousing to transmission bolt holes line up.

your a gentleman and a scholar. thank you very much, for helping me out. I'll be sure to put up some pictures of the new toy after i hunt down a transmission this week, and get it in. thanks,
chris

EDIT: on this one,

"1988-1992 Rangers (4x4) / Bronco II (4x4 & 2wd) 2.9 engine can be;
1) Mitsubishi FM146 (2.9 4x4 ONLY)
2) Mazda M5OD-R1 (4x4 version)"

are these two transmissions interchangeable, or how do i differentiate the mitsu from the mazda trans?

It's doubtful you'll find a 4x4 M5OD in anything older than 89, the M5OD has an intergrated bellhousing, the FM146 has a removable bellhousing and a pan on the bottom.

Back