Ranger 3.0 Auto Tranny swap to 5 Spd M5OD-R1, NEED SOME ADVICE... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger 3.0 Auto Tranny swap to 5 Spd M5OD-R1, NEED SOME ADVICE...

thasecondchance

Reaction score
City, State
Douglasville, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ranger 2.3, 3.0
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but familiar with Fords...

I'm working with a friend of mine who has a 2.3 Ranger 5 Spd, and a 3.0 Ranger automatic.

The auto tranny in the 3.0 is having problems shifting up, and overdrive is inoperative.
We have the 4R44E tranny already out of the 3.0, and we want to swap it out with the M5OD tranny from the 2.3 truck...

We've got experience R&Ring trannys, so we know how everything goes together, but we want to find out if anyone's done this before and if we're going to run into problems along the way...

Can y'all help us out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The M5OP came on both the 2.3 and the 3.0 (as well as the 4.0) but I'm not sure if the bellhousing is the same, did you check?

Moving this thread to the transmission forum. :)

Welcome to the board. :thumbsup:

Thanks, X

Yeah when we dropped the auto tranny out of the 3.0, the bellhousing came with it... The 5spd tranny should bolt right up to the 3.0, but we think we're gonna have to get a different starter... The 3.0 starter bolts up on the driver side of the auto tranny, whereas the starter for the 5spd bolts up on the passenger side.

That sounds right, starters are different on manual vs auto trans, at least on the 4.0's.

I'm also under the impression that the 3.0 doesnt have the same bellhousing pattern as the 4.0 and so on. I think the 3.0 is more round where as the others are more octagonal.

Back