• Register Today It's free!

Ranger/Explorer Coilover rates...

redranger4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Salem CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger XLT
I don't know how many guys are running coilovers with their SAS's, but I think Michael and Rick are. What Coil weights are you running? Im thinking about get a pair of 16" travel 2.5" Coilovers for the front. Need to figure out what coils Ill need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running 200/250 on 2.5" X 14" Kings and they seem pretty good but I have nothing else to compare them to since these are the only rates I've ever run. I can get the compression/rebound #'s if you care for those as well.
Ricks's c/o rates are pretty stiff because he runs them behind the axle and on the lower links. You might hit up Jefe or maybe he'll chime in with his rates, his truck works very well with the rates he has.

Forgot to mention one coil is 14" long and the other is 16" long (free length). I'll have to check and see which one is which.

I'm running 200/250 on 2.5" X 14" Kings and they seem pretty good but I have nothing else to compare them to since these are the only rates I've ever run. I can get the compression/rebound #'s if you care for those as well.
Ricks's c/o rates are pretty stiff because he runs them behind the axle and on the lower links. You might hit up Jefe or maybe he'll chime in with his rates, his truck works very well with the rates he has.

Forgot to mention one coil is 14" long and the other is 16" long (free length). I'll have to check and see which one is which.

Yea that would be great, I have a vendor who will let me exchange coils, so I need a ball park to start with, then move from there.

14x2.0 Kings with 250/350 springs.

Ok next question.... Valving? and compression and rebound. How did you guys figure all this stuff out. Ive got the spring rates pretty much figured out.

Im guessing the 250 is the 16" long spring and is on the bottom (main spring) and the 200 is the 14" spring on top (tender)

David is right, my rates are very stiff due to the mounting location. Stiff as in 450/650:eek:.

Ok next question.... Valving? and compression and rebound. How did you guys figure all this stuff out. Ive got the spring rates pretty much figured out.

All I did for valving was weigh the truck, front and rear. I gave those numbers to the guys at King, told them how I was going to use the truck, and they valved accordingly. I got very lucky because both my valving and spring rate were dead on the first time.

All I did for valving was weigh the truck, front and rear. I gave those numbers to the guys at King, told them how I was going to use the truck, and they valved accordingly. I got very lucky because both my valving and spring rate were dead on the first time.

do you remember the weight or the valving they used?

do you remember the weight or the valving they used?

I think it was 2300-2400 lbs on the front axle and 1900-1950 ish on the rear. Your ranger should be a good deal lighter, maybe DB has his weights.

I don't know on the valving. I guess I should have been clearer in that I gave all the info to my fab shop and they dealt with King. I got a better price on the coilovers that way.

I'm running a 2x14" shock with 250/300 (both 14" coils). I started with 250/350 but that was about 40% up vs. down travel, and I was looking for 30% (4" up/10" down).

As far as valving, I had them valved to start with, they were too soft, so they sent me a new shim pack that I installed myself.

Back