Rattling Noise Around The alternator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling Noise Around The alternator

leetz

2wd All-Star
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Florida (School) Va.Beach, VA (Home) Beaufort, N.C. (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Well about a month ago I noticed a very obnoxious rattling/clicking type noise coming from inside my engine. Well I figured something was wrong and I had about 3 problems at once. My thermostat was broken, I need a tune up badly and they said my differential needed some fluid. My car is returned to me about 4 days ago and I still here the noise, and ask the mechanic what was the noise coming from?? He explains that he had his people pull all the pulleys manually to see what it was. He said all the pulleys were fine and that it was coming from the alternator. Well tonight my g/f's dad and I were taking out my alternator when I see one of my pulleys below my alternator half on track. Wow what a great mechanic, says that he checks all my pulleys and doesnt even put it on right. so we losing the pulleys up and put it back on there. Replace the alternator start up the truck and still that god awful noise. It sounds like it's the alternator but it is not it's right near or around it. Her dad says it is probably the tensioner or the idler pulley. Anyone ever here of this probelm or can explain what it could be?

On a 98 you should be replacing the entire tensioner assembly about now (about $50). These have a nasty habit of flying apart at this age because the 2nd gen tensioner is a really bad design. Look down and see if the white seperator plastic has more showing on one side or the other. The pulleys ($17) dry out about this age too and shouldn't make any noise when you spin them by hand. You should include what kind of engine/transmission you have in your profile so we don't have to drag it out of you each time. If SOHC, you could have the dreaded tensioner problems.

Back