rave for The Shiftster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rave for The Shiftster

FreedomRun

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4X4 XLT AT
So I bought a Shiftster because I've had it with the automatic 4x4 system in my '91 Explorer.

I friggin' love this thing! I also had the hubs switched out to manual last year, and even with that I can get out of the vehicle, engage with the Shiftster, lock the hubs, and back in in less than a minute at a casual pace. So easy. After a couple times I don't even need to look, just feel for the plunger, pull it out, and rotate down into 4x4.

I was going to install it myself, but with it being below zero with snow and wind, I had my mechanic do it, and it only cost me 1/2 hr. Labor.

With the part-shipping-installation I shelled out LESS than $100! Nice!

Even though I replaced the transfer case motor last year it was still unreliable. click-click-click-click. Terrible. The best thing about The Shiftster is the PEACE OF MIND from knowing that I don't have to rely on an overly complicated system, and I have the ability to physically engage when I need to.

Rick Booth has been more than helpful with my questions via email, and my hat's off to him and his team. I love it when something works out for once!

I just ordered my mile markers to get rid of the crap auto hubs...The conversion kit is on back order for it...I am ordering the shiftster as well...Just about every auto 4x4 system I have run into no matter what make of car, fails at some point. I had a chevy s-10 blazer and the auto 4x4 crapped out in the middle of a blizzard...

Back