• Register Today It's free!

Raybestos 1 piece control arm

Nick623

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
Hello all, I recently ordered Raybestos control arms and the right upper control arm that I received is the one piece design however OEM is two piece. Can the two piece control arm be replaced with the one piece I have or do I need to order the two piece?

Raybestos part number # 5021022B

Short answer; Yes

The reason the factory has a two piece passenger side (right) upper control arm is to allow for caster adjustment that is "more" independent, versus a one piece where you can make a little adjustment of the caster, but affect camber and toe a lot as well.

It is easier to just replace with a one piece.
You can buy new bushings for the existing inner upper arm and buy a new outer upper arm with the new ball joint.
This would preserve the ability to adjust caster more independent from the camber and toe.

My personal experience with the two piece;

After I replaced and rebuilt the entire front end I had an alignment completed w/ two piece and it still pull slightly to the driver-side (left)

I had it re-aligned with tighter tolerances, and then increased the caster on the passenger side.
This allows the truck to be less affected by road angles and ruts, and now would drive straight on most all surfaces.

Back