re: A Question For Anyone Running a K&N CAI On a Gen 2 V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

re: A Question For Anyone Running a K&N CAI On a Gen 2 V8

SixPonies

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mahomet, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
I recently came into possession of a K&N CAI that was missing the filter. I know the one that comes with this kit is a 6" long conical filter. But I'm curious as to whether or not there's enough room for a longer 7" or 8" cone filter to fit on the end of this pipe without rubbing or hitting anything. Is there enough room inside the "airbox" portion of this intake for a longer cone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the airbox is a true enclosed box, I would not recommend it as you will actually decrease the airflow by stuffing the larger filter into the same size box. BUT, I'll bet the "airbox" only consists of a couple sides to it so airflow should not be a problem. For clearance, are you able to take some measurements? Also, I would make sure the K&N you have is actually made for your truck, otherwise, filter size may not be the only thing to worry about for clearance. The airbox and tube could also be of concern. It doesn't take long to swap it out. Maybe go ahead and throw the CAI in and measure the clearance for the filter.

It's an actual K&N kit for 2006-2010 V8 Explorer/2007-2010 V8 Sport Trac. It's just missing the filter. So it's not an enclosed "air box", because K&N doesn't use those-hence the quotes around "airbox" in my original post.

Some other Trac owners posted pics/measurements of their K&N kits for me in other online groups. There a bit more room for maybe a 7" filter, but I decided to stick with a 6" filter. I ordered an S&B PowerStack filter from Amazon. Once I get everything installed, I'll post pics.

I think the 7" would fit. The only thing I see in the near vicinity where the filter would be is the windshield wiper fluid fill tube. In searching for some pics, I think a 7" would tuck in just fine behind the headlight. But with 6" you'll be fine. Too bad you can't just drive over and pick up one of the extras I have sittin around. They aren't doing me any good sitting in my spare parts cabinet.

Too bad you can't just drive over and pick up one of the extras I have sittin around. They aren't doing me any good sitting in my spare parts cabinet.

Where are you located?

Back