• Register Today It's free!

Rear ABS sensor problem

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
Six months ago my ABS light came on, and would stay on from the first moment the truck was started. After reading the posts here it seemed likely to be the rear axel sensor. I decied to change it since they only cost $15. After I put in the new one I decided to test it my first time out on snow. I hit the brakes ABS system worked, but the ABS light came on. Now when I first start the car the light stays off until I get up to 15-20 KPH, then it comes back on. Any ideas? Could the new sensor be defective?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Six months ago my ABS light came on, and would stay on from the first moment the truck was started. After reading the posts here it seemed likely to be the rear axel sensor. I decied to change it since they only cost $15. After I put in the new one I decided to test it my first time out on snow. I hit the brakes ABS system worked, but the ABS light came on. Now when I first start the car the light stays off until I move 30-50 feet, then it comes back on. Any ideas? Could the new sensor be defective?

It would be great if you could scan the system for codes. There could be an issue with the wiring harness, who knows what else.

It would be great if I could scan the system for codes, but I don't have a scanner. The only place near me that does is the dealer, and I never come out of there with a bill less than $300!!!

It would be great if I could scan the system for codes, but I don't have a scanner. The only place near me that does is the dealer, and I never come out of there with a bill less than $300!!!

this scanner will read OBD, ABS and much more, around $150 bucks. Be sure to get PWM + ISO.

obd-2.com

Hey bluestream1, I am in Markham if you are in the area you can use my reader. I got one this week to help me with my issues. Still trying to track down why my ABS light is on. Changed the rear sensor but still getting the same codes. Must be a wire some where. PM me if your going to be in the area with your EX.

this scanner will read OBD, ABS and much more, around $150 bucks. Be sure to get PWM + ISO.

obd-2.com

At this time I am not buying a code reader, but thanks anyway. I am looking for anyone who has had a similar problem, and I would like to know what their fix was. Right now, when I start the truck the ABS light is off. If I drive slow it stays off. When I get to around 12-15 MPH, the light comes on and stays on. I am thinking the rear sensor I bought is defective.

Martin123,

Where did you purchase this scanner you bought? I am in Niagara and would like to buy one too.

Well I finally found the problem. The new sensor I bought (BWD ABS111) was defective from new. I bought a new Motorcraft sensor and put it in and the light went off and stayed off. I took a chance on this; it cost less to buy a new sensor than to pay to have the code scanned. If you are looking at a BWD, I would pay $8 more and get the Ford part. If I can find my receipt I am taking it back, I think they have a one year warranty

Back