• Register Today It's free!

Rear cargo area carpet

DriveshaftJoe

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 limited v8 explorer
When I bought my '99 explorer the carpet in the cargo area was mint. Now after 3 years of packing truck parts, hunting, camping, etc. the carpet is a mess.

LMC truck offers a replacement polyvinyl. Advertised to fix all my problems. Only problem is they only offer it for first gens.

So has anyone ever compared the floor coverings from a first gen to a second gen?

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fex/full.aspx?Page=62

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the rear cargo floor is the same, or darn close. I don't know about the rest of the floorpan.

I was at the salvage yard this week and picked up a rear cargo mat from a 2nd gen. It's a factory item with carpet on one side, rubber on the other. It's rectangular and covers the entire cargo area except directly in front of and behind the wheelwells. I'm sure it's intended to be used carpet side up, but could be used rubber side up, too. I've probably seen them before, but never paid attention to them. I used a plastic desk chair mat in my '94 Ex.

The body of the second gen is identical to the first gen, only the rear tail-light pockets and the front clip are different.

All interior components can swap to a first gen, and visa-versa.

LMC is in the habit of not listing compatibility from year to year; they like to leave that to us.

No carpet kit is sold for the cargo area because it is not a molded piece. Just a flat square chunk of carpet.

Upholstery supply stores will have automotive grade carpet in bulk.

Little razor blade action and presto! new carpet.

And yes; the first gen poly-vinyl kit will fit your 99' floor pans.

Thanks for all the help guys. Those cargo liners are a lot cheaper than the LMC stuff. But a replacing all the carpet with polyvinyl might just happen.

I knew someone on here would know.

Back