• Register Today It's free!

Rear door lock issues

BurnTheLight88

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Mountaineer
I have two door lock issues, and I'm sure most of you have had at least one of these dreaded issues, but I haven't had much luck with a search because it isn't the front driver's door as most old posts that I searched through refer to.

1.) Rear driver's side door - manually locking and unlocking the door by hand works fine. With door manually unlocked, door will open from inside and out. Door will never automatically unlock using interior unlock button. Door will occasionally unlock after multiple (10+) presses of key fob unlock button. I'm thinking actuator, but is there something else I should be looking at? I only think it may be something else because it will only occasionally unlock using the Fob only.

2.) Liftgate - glass and door operate fine. Will lock and unlock flawlessly with the key. Takes multiple presses of unlock or lock buttons (on the Fob or interior buttons, they work about the same) to achieve desired function. Again, I'm thinking actuator.

I just don't want to spend the money on actuators (and the hassle) without your appreciated second opinions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Difficult to pinpoint both issues without removing the panels first. The plastic door retainer clips can be reused if you're careful. GL

The power door locks on these trucks are finicky, especially if you have high miles...my drivers side rear door issue is similar to yours except it almost never unlocks with the fob (unless I hit it 10 times) but it will usually unlock if I give the unlock button on the drivers door a good firm press and kinda hold it for a second. Is your door trying to unlock/lock every time you hit either the fob or interior button? If it's making noise every time, or the little lock thing is moving barely then I would definitely say the problems's the door lock actuator.

My tailgate literally does the same exact thing yours does, key works, sometimes unlocks/locks power but always makes noise when I hit any power lock button, which leads me to believe that the problem is also with the actuator :roll:

I used to have to hit the FOB or inside door lock many times to get the passenger door to unlock. I saw a mod here where you put a spring inside the door attached to the handle to hold it down, and my problem went away. Do a search for the spring mod for locks its cheap and easy, might even work for you.

I did the spring trick to my front driver's door as was described on here in multiple posts and that fixed my problem with that door. The other two it appears have all the correct springs and rivets are solid in place.

The rear driver's side door lock usually will not move or make any noise until after excessive pressing of the fob button. Let's say after 8 presses the visible lock will start to move and the actuator will start to fire, and usually another press or two on the fob will move the lock up far enough that the door can be opened from the outside.

I've had a sluggish passenger front door lock since I bought used 20K ago. Has a buzzing or whirring sound, but never fails to work after repeated tries. Considered doing this linked actuator disassembly and lubrication repair. Not sure if it's a temporary fix and worth the effort to have it fail again.

96 EX Door Lock Actuator Removal w/Pics!

With a sluggish lock I'd be willing to spend that much effort on it, so I may try that on the tailgate actuator because that's what I think the problem is.

The rear door baffles me though just because of the repeated presses before any action is seen and it only responds to the fob it seems. I just don't understand why the actuator would respond differently to the fob than the interior buttons so I was wondering if I had an electrical problem basically.

Same happens to me for both te rear driver side door and the tailgate. Kind of funny to watch people in the back freak out because they ant get out though

Same happens to me for both te rear driver side door and the tailgate. Kind of funny to watch people in the back freak out because they ant get out though

hahahaha yeah it is and even when I tell them to pull the little thing up they just keep yanking on the door handle so I always have to reach around and unlock it

Back