Rear End Shake_Steering Wheel Vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear End Shake_Steering Wheel Vibration

hillre51

Reaction score
City, State
vine grove, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer eddie bauer
Good morning all, I've a 2003 Ford Explorer (4.0 V6 engine) with 116K miles.

I'm noticing the rear seat kind of shaking/vibration during take off but seem to get better as I accerlerate. Also noticing vibration at steering wheel while driving 60 mph. The tires have been balance three times but I'm not sure they were balanced correctly. They were spin balanced not "road force balanced." Any ideas what the problem may be? bad wheel bearing on rear, struts, coil springs? The ball joints, stabilizer links, and stabilizer bar appear well. Driveshaft (both) have been replaced already. Have any of you experienced this problem? if so how did you resolve it? Thanks

I'm pretty new to this, mine has a similar symptom.

I'm assuming it's a chopped tire, for me.

possible bad tail shaft universal or the shaft itself.

Problems could be in a lot of areas. Rule out wheel bearings, then look at road force balance. I've been fighting vibration issues that I thought were drive line related. Bearings were good. Removed front and rear drive shafts, u-joints ok. General consensus was tire related even though has been balanced & rotated several time. They road force balanced. 2 tires were in spec and 2 were out. One of the 2 was easy to fix. 2nd tire thought might have been defective. They were able to finally get it to pass. Driving experience is night and day different. If after road force balance and ruling out bearings start looking elsewhere.

Back