• Register Today It's free!

Rear freeze plugs \ core plugs

Sideshow

Reaction score
City, State
GREENBAY WISCONSIN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer
I just bought my 19 year old daughter an 1997 explorer with an 4.0 liter engine in it . replaced brakes all the way around . so naturally it starts pouring anti freeze out of the bell housing . are there freeze plugs on the back of it ? Inside of Bell housing ? If so does anybody have a picture that they can post ? Tried finding pictures on Google but not much luck . thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it's not coming off the back of one of the heads and just tricking you into thinking it's coming from the block?

There are several very experienced users on this site that can let you know for sure.

I actually have a 5.0

Could be a freeze/core plug. I'd also look up on top of the block...primarily at the thermostat housing. Those are notorious for leaking and filling the intake valley to the point where it will then spill over and down the back of the block (like when you raised the front end to do the brakes). Local repair shop where I took my '98 for an alignment swore up and down I had a leaky head gasket at the rear of the block. Nope...just a bad t-stat housing.

I don't think there is a plug inside the bell housing. 2000StreetRod has some good pics of the back of the block on here somewhere.

I think XLTrunner is on the right track. If the thermostat housing leaks, it will collect in the valley and run out the back side. That could easily look like it was coming from the front of the trans. Common issue on this engine.

Thanks guys , we just got slammed with eleven inches of snow here in greenbay wisconsin so i have to wait till the snow melts on monday \ tuesday to dive back into truck . but it is not leaking from thermostat housing \ water outlet .

Back