Rear galss open = no interior lights... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear galss open = no interior lights...

Reaction score
City, State
In the Middle
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ranger 5.0
On my 1997 Explorer, when I open just the rear glass the interior lights don't come on, but they will come on when I open the entire hatch. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, at least on my 99, the interior lights come on. I believe the sensor is in the latch. Some people here have had trouble with the doors not triggering or triggering the light all the time, and they sprayed some WD-40 into the slits of the door handle. Having said that, maybe the latch just needs some lube?

I think yes that is the way its supposed to be in 97. When I open the rear glass on my 95 the lights do not come on. They do come on when the glass is open on a 00 in the family. I assume the change came in the 98+ redesign.

I think yes that is the way its supposed to be in 97. When I open the rear glass on my 95 the lights do not come on. They do come on when the glass is open on a 00 in the family. I assume the change came in the 98+ redesign.
The light comes on in my 95 Limited. Not sure that this is specific to the Limited in this model year.

Thanks for the info, I hope I can make it work somehow... it would be a lot easier loading/unloading things at night.

mine comes on.

Back