Rear Hatch Latch on 1995 Explorer 4X4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Latch on 1995 Explorer 4X4

Brutek

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 4X4
I have a question. I have a 1995 Explorer 4X4. The rear hatch latch broke. I work on my own Fords when I can. I found a replacement latch no problem. But, I am older, a little bigger, how do you change the latch if the door is shut. I am sure many break with the door shut. How do you get the Hatch open to remove the panel to change the latch. I have studied this thing. I am stumped. How do you get the door open? I know someone, mant with all due respect, have had to have ran into this. Help a brother out!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a question. I have a 1995 Explorer 4X4. The rear hatch latch broke. I work on my own Fords when I can. I found a replacement latch no problem. But, I am older, a little bigger, how do you change the latch if the door is shut. I am sure many break with the door shut. How do you get the Hatch open to remove the panel to change the latch. I have studied this thing. I am stumped. How do you get the door open? I know someone, mant with all due respect, have had to have ran into this. Help a brother out!

I'm 6ft+, about 250, 56 years young. I had to climb in the back door and over the seats to get into the rear cargo area. It can be done. There is a little insert plug on the top of the inside of the hatch ledge near the bottom of the window. You need to remove that to get access to the latch workings. Open the hatch by manipulating the lock with a pair of needle nose pliers. Once opened, I had to remove the hatch nacelle (plastic interior trim piece) to replace the lock actuator. Takes some time but its workable. There are a few threads here on it - just search a bit.
Good Luck!

I know the handle is different on a '95, but I imagine what opens the hatch is similar. The following thread was from a 2000, but maybe it will help you. If you can't open the rear window either, you'll have to work from the inside, as chefduane said.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428648

Hatch Latch

I really appreciate the advice. I am 5'11 250 and it is 98 degrees outside. I am going to have to go in from inside. I guess it will be a late night mission as I will roast during the day. Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Worst case is I go all "GETTO" and just cut the back plastic and expose the lock and open the door. Cheaper to find used cover than to take it someplace. A Junk yard wanted $50.00 for a used latch, they are $14-44.00 on the internet for a new latch. He said the labor would cost more than the latch. So night ops it is. Or a friend with an airconditioned garage. I still LOVE my explorer and I have over 350,000 miles with only a radiator and water pump change. I am gonna fix it and keep rollin. These are Great trucks.

Back