• Register Today It's free!

rear hatch lock

toughguy

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2ford explorers 1999 2000
the rear hatch on my 2000 explorer wont lock or unlock with the key, when u push the button the window pops open, when I lock all the doors with the key fob the rear window doesn't lock, is this a big problem, can I repair it myself? I need to lock it or people can open it and take things. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will have to take the hatch trim panel off & check the lock actuator to see if it is working.

You will have to take the hatch trim panel off & check the lock actuator to see if it is working.

the lock actuator is working for the door with no problems, its the glass that I am having problems with, when you push the button lock on the rear door the window pops open, when you try to lock the rear window it wont lock. when you use the key fob to lock all the doors they lock but the rear window doesn't lock.

the lock actuator is working for the door with no problems, its the glass that I am having problems with, when you push the button lock on the rear door the window pops open, when you try to lock the rear window it wont lock. when you use the key fob to lock all the doors they lock but the rear window doesn't lock.

Your best bet would still be to pull the rear hatch interior trim panel & see what is not working in there. I had the trim panel on the rear hatch of mine off recently to repair the hatch glass release button & there are several rods in there, one which might not be hooked up.

Your best bet would still be to pull the rear hatch interior trim panel & see what is not working in there. I had the trim panel on the rear hatch of mine off recently to repair the hatch glass release button & there are several rods in there, one which might not be hooked up.

ok, will do, thanks.

`I removed the trim and checked all the linkages, all were connected and working, except the push button lock that will open the window but it wont lock it and its not fully popping back after you push it, I will need to replace this item.....where do I look for it and will I have to rekey it or I will have two keys?

I would check to see here if someone is parting out any Explorers & you can get it from them, or from a JY.

I would check to see here if someone is parting out any Explorers & you can get it from them, or from a JY.

cool, thank you. but how would I get it to work when I wont have the key?

cool, thank you. but how would I get it to work when I wont have the key?

Get the key with it from the junkyard.
Get all the other locks too.

the tailgate lock button is largely made of plastic. there's a little finger the rotates around when you lock/unlock the button. it's this finger that prevents the button from opening the rear glass when in the lock position. being plastic, the finger can break off. maybe that's your problem. if so, replacement of the button mechanism is the only fix. replacing the button is a PITA due to the various pieces you need to remove to get it out.

In the attached (somewhat blurry) photo, you can see the plastic finger marked in orange.

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/kodabear2000/media/111_0056_zpsuh5jiw5u.jpg.html

the tailgate lock button is largely made of plastic. there's a little finger the rotates around when you lock/unlock the button. it's this finger that prevents the button from opening the rear glass when in the lock position. being plastic, the finger can break off. maybe that's your problem. if so, replacement of the button mechanism is the only fix. replacing the button is a PITA due to the various pieces you need to remove to get it out.

In the attached (somewhat blurry) photo, you can see the plastic finger marked in orange.

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/kodabear2000/media/111_0056_zpsuh5jiw5u.jpg.html

yes, thanks. just got back from junkyard....found one with a key. and your right its a pain in the ass to get at..... thanks again.

yes, thanks. just got back from junkyard....found one with a key. and your right its a pain in the ass to get at..... thanks again.

You're a lucky guy. I never see anything with keys at the pull-a-part.

You're a lucky guy. I never see anything with keys at the pull-a-part.

me and my son walked up to the truck and the tailgate was opened, I pulled it down to see the tailgate lock and the damn key was in the locked.....Scored !!!!!!!!

Back