Rear heater hose connection leak (4.6L) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear heater hose connection leak (4.6L)

Larryjb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
Has anyone had to repair or replace one of the rear heater hose connections? I found a heater hose connection in the center just forwards of the rear axle to be leaking.

Does anyone have a part number for the hose that attaches to the rear heater core? The closest I seem to be able to come to is kh440, but I cannot tell from any diagram or description where kh440 is actually used.

I finally found some threads about leaking heater hoses, and most are related to rusted clamps. I can replace those easily enough, but the hoses look pretty rough and would like to replace them.

Gotta love the way Ford does part numbers. According to my factory service manual, the actual service manual from Ford, not a cheap aftermarket job, the part numbers quoted for the rear auxiliary hear lines are the same numbers as the refrigerant lines. As best as I can tell, the two part numbers for the rear auxiliary heater lines should be
18663B and 18472A

But then, 18472A is also known as 18696, and 18663B is also known as KT35, or even just 18663.

No wonder Ford engineers can't get passports. They can't get any names straight!:angryfire:

Rockauto seems to have the KT35 (18663B) in stock. While it's not as cheap as a length of hose, it's actually not that bad a price. Do they have the other one? I'm not sure yet.

Back