rear jacking point on my 94 Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear jacking point on my 94 Sport?

94_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cotati, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
My manual shows the axle as the jacking point for the rear of my X. However, I'm using a floor jack, and on the rear right, I cannot get the floor jack to line up on the axle, there's not enough room for it (specifically on the right side). The jack plate, or whatever it's called (the doohicky that's on top of the jack itself) is too big fo fit right under the leafspring mount without it being awkward, plus then there's not room for the jack stand! So, where should I jack it up at?
Can I use the tail end of the frame at the very rear of the truck? It's pretty high compared to underneath the leafspring mount, which kinda sucks if I want to get it high up there. I could sure use a tip right about now! If you've got one, please chime in!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anywhere along the axle except the diff would be fine. you could also try the frame but its hard to get it high enough off the ground from there. when you get the jack holding most of the weight give the truck a push to make sure its being held securely

Use a 2x4 on the jack pad, put the jack under the diff on the cast iron portion of the diff, avoiding the lip of the diff cover, jack it up, put your jackstands under your axle tubes, let it down, you need to have two good jackstands

Ok wait! The first reply says anywhere BUT the diff. The second says use a 2x4 under the diff. The manual says never use the diff for jacking. ?? So, what's the true deal?

You're not supposed to use the diff because you might open up the cover. If you jack it up carefully by the part that's not the cover, you'll be fine.

You can use the center of the diffy but its not recommended. If your simply jacking to change a tire, I'd suggest the spring mount in rear on each side.

94_explorer said:
Ok wait! The first reply says anywhere BUT the diff. The second says use a 2x4 under the diff. The manual says never use the diff for jacking. ?? So, what's the true deal?
99% of the people on this site will jack up the rear end from the diff, the only problem as said above is catching the jack in the lip of the diff cover.
Is a no brainer, just watch what you are doing

WORST CASE:

Just alittle off on the placement of the differential jacking point and the cover will make contact with the jack saddle.......the cover will be pushed and the seal will be compromised........resulting in a rear differential leak.

I've seen many people do it this way. And it isn't recommended by FORD. They say the pumkin is cast iron and is not really all that strong enough to support half of the vehicle's weight in one move. The recommendation is to lift one corner at a time......I imagine it is for safety (liability and all).

Which reminds me.......how many tons is your jack rated at......and the jack stands? Ever have one of your friends complain about his $29, 2 ton jack, not being able to hold, after lifting half of a FULL SIZE truck? See what I mean.

Aloha, Mark

ma96782 said:
WORST CASE:

Just alittle off on the placement of the differential jacking point and the cover will make contact with the jack saddle.......the cover will be pushed and the seal will be compromised........resulting in a rear differential leak.

I've seen many people do it this way. And it isn't recommended by FORD. They say the pumkin is cast iron and is not really all that strong enough to support half of the vehicle's weight in one move. The recommendation is to lift one corner at a time......I imagine it is for safety (liability and all).

Which reminds me.......how many tons is your jack rated at......and the jack stands? Ever have one of your friends complain about his $29, 2 ton jack, not being able to hold, after lifting half of a FULL SIZE truck? See what I mean.

Aloha, Mark

My floor jack is rated at 2 1/4 ton (4500lbs). My truck, being a 2dr, is under 4klbs. My jack stands are tall 6ton jobbers. I've got four of 'em.

Is there a central spot on the front end, or should I jack up the corners?

94_explorer said:
My floor jack is rated at 2 1/4 ton (4500lbs). My truck, being a 2dr, is under 4klbs. My jack stands are tall 6ton jobbers. I've got four of 'em.

Is there a central spot on the front end, or should I jack up the corners?
Yea, from the front crossmember, when jacking up the front or the rear, is not like your jacking the full wgt of the truck, maybe 1800 lbs front, 2 K rear, you have more than enough jack.

Excellent. Thanks guys for all your help.

If I need to get the whole front, or rear up, I always jack from the center of the front or rear diff. I never had any sort of problem. If I just need one side I'll put the jack under the leaf spring perch in the rear, or under the axle arm on the front end.

If I need to get the whole front, or rear up, I always jack from the center of the front or rear diff. I never had any sort of problem. If I just need one side I'll put the jack under the leaf spring perch in the rear, or under the axle arm on the front end.

Truthfully.............. ;) ..............thats the way most guys (I know) do it too..............I guess liability lawyers still haven't gotten to us home jobbers, yet.

You know what I'm talking about...............the guys who have made it necessary to have a warning printed on almost everything................stating the obvious. Though I guess to some it wasn't so obvious. :eek:

Aloha, Mark

spindlecone said:
99% of the people on this site will jack up the rear end from the diff, the only problem as said above is catching the jack in the lip of the diff cover.
Is a no brainer, just watch what you are doing

As already mentioned it is important to watch what is going on, but also that floor jacks come in various sizes.. I have a larger floor jack with a standard size saddle (6"+ in diameter) and have used the center diff to lift my X on many occasions... the large surface area of the saddle and (jack) are very stable. I also have a 2 1/4 ton Sears Jack and would never lift from the center with it.. It is too small and and unstable for lifting @ the diff.. But it's small saddle is great for getting between the U bolts of the leaf pack as mentioned by Ben..

atleast its not a civic, and you dont have to jack up by the gas tank.

Back