• Register Today It's free!

Rear locker question....

MonsterTrac

Reaction score
City, State
Poway, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
I had plans of adding a locker to my rear axle, I was going to add an air locker, or some other kind of selectable locker, in order to save on tire wear. I was discussing this with a local off-roading shop, and he told me that an axle that is locked all of the time in the rear doesnt really cause any excess tire wear, and that there was not much need for an air locker in the rear. He was saying air lockers are mainly for front axles. Is this true, I dont want to end up with a set-up that is going to chew through my tires. But at the same time, I would like to save my money by getting a normal locker if I can. That way I can get my re-gear in two weeks. If I wait on the air locker, I have two wait a little more than a month. Also he told me 600 for a 4..8 re-gear in my 8.8 That price is completely installed. He also told me he would install the locker for no labor charge. So my 4.88 re-gear and my locker install would be 600 + the price of the locker. Does this sound like a good deal, or too expensive.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you 2x4 or 4x4? If your 4x4 then you will also need to regear the front, and at that price that is a GREAT deal. Also the lockers arent too hard on the tires as long as you get on that dis-engages, like a Powertrax no-slip or an aussie locker. If you are a 2x4 then you wont need to regear the front, and that is a pretty good price for gears, install, and locker install.

Im 2X4. My main worry is chewing up my tires with the locker installed.

Get an autolocker or selectable locker for the rear, don't go with a lincoln locker or spool.

Or better yet, an Eaton or Detroit electric locker: best of all worlds: Selectable locker, but great LS when not engaged.

What is involved in the installation of the detroit or Eaton electric locker. The 600 dollar price would include installation of a normal locker, but if there is a bunch of extra stuff, hell prolly want more......

Nothing except running a few wires and a switch.

Do you have to drill into the axle housing. I was told you had to do that with an air locker. How would you get the wires into the axle housing.

Look at Aussie Lockers. They arent out yet for a 8.8 but they are suppose to be soon and there is a review of a toyota locker from them on pirate4x4.com which was really positive. Much cheaper than others.

Gary

I have talked with Bill Cole at the TORQ masters about the Aussie lockers and they are expecting to have them for our 8.8's around mid-November. He stated that there are 3 models ahead of the 8.8. I will keep in touch with him as time moves on.

Has anyone learned more about this aussie locker?

I just receive a email from bill cole at aussie lockers in response to my inquire of when the aussie locker for the dana 35 was going to be out
"We are expecting a release by the engineering group in April. We apologize for the delay"

Joe

I was reading on PBB earlier about the ALL the Aussie delays.

Pretty much all of them are delayed. Some were ordered back in November and December, for those that were supposedly available, and people still haven't received them.

Makes you wonder what the warranty service would be like..............

I was curious about the rear 8.8 though...

What would be my best plan of attack for getting a locker for my X. its a 4x4 w/ 3.73 's open. I want to get a locker for the back but do I need one for the front? I don't want anything crazy as my truck really doesn't see much trail time but I'd like to have the traction if I would need it. What would I been looking at price wise for the locker and someone to install it?

Back