• Register Today It's free!

Rear main seal leaking

htsmeister

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited,1996 Limited
Hi all: Can you point me to some links on replacing the rear main seal with with out major pain (i.e. pulling the engine or dropping front axle)? Thanks, HTSMEISTER

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you replaced your PCV valve recently? When they get clogged up the crankcase is not scavanged properly and will make any leak worse. As far as a easy way to replace the rear main on a all wheel drive, sorry, I don't know of any way.

Agreed with previous post. Check the PCV valve.

Hi all: No problem with the PCV, but since I was changing my oil, I got some Bars Leak Rear Main Seal stop leak. I'll let you know how it works out. Cheer, htsmeister

Seems to have slowed it down quite a bit. Everything is now moist instead of wet. Never had a drip on the concrete though so maybe I got it early enough. Cheers, htsmeister

After ~1k miles now, everything seems nice and dry! That is some good stuff!

I put the same stuff in, but I use a 5W30 synthetic, and it is pretty thin oil. The problem is that I can't drive the thing enough to see if the leak would stop, since it drips directly onto one of the cats.

I would actually think that the full synthetic would leak worse. My mother-in-law wanted to switch her Ex to synthetic, and I looked under, and her rear main is also leaking ,so I told her to wait on the switch. The dyno oil isn't actually dripping - just getting on everything.

Try one of the high milage oils; they have seal swell agents and that may help.

I used Bars in mine and its no longer leaking. Awesome.

I used Bars in mine and its no longer leaking. Awesome.

Hmmm, this has got me thinking i should give this stuff a try. I have a few questions about it though. First, what does it cost and where can i buy it? Second, since its an additive, has anyone thats used this stuff noticed anything funny with their oil when doing an oil change? Third, will it gunk up my engine? My rear main is just seeping but i'd love for it to stop.

I tried some Bars Leak Rear Main Seal stop leak, to try to stop a leak in my 1996 Ford explorer Sport. I've also changed my oil and have been using Walmart brand, 10w-40 high mileage oil.
So far, that hasn't stop my oil leak. Of course, it could be beyond that. I bought this vehicle with 230,000 miles on it. I've have to do quite a bit of work to it. I'm think I may end up having to replace the rear main seal. How would one do that?

I will check the pvc vale though, Where would it be found on my 96 Explorer?

You gotta drop the tranny to get to the rear main. Or pull the motor.

The SECOND time I had the rear main replaced I took it to a tranny shop, and had both the rear main, transmission seal, pump, and torque converter replaced. I haven't decided what I'm going to do now that it's leaking AGAIN (not the fault of the tranny guy , this is a rebuilt engine with under 20k miles and it's already leading).

Back