• Register Today It's free!

Rear Main Seal SOHC 4.0

99EURO

Reaction score
City, State
K-Town Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 High Class
I have searched the site, and cannot find a lot of information on replacing the rear main seal on the SOHC 4.0. Has anyone done this themselves, and if so can you give me some detialed instructions or is there anyplace online to veiw a manual for this procedure. The part isnt that expensive, and I am a mechanic but have never worked on Fords that much. Just Army vehicles. I think also it has a sleeve that goes with it. Any help would be great!!!!

Remove the transmission and flywheel and it's right there. Hit it in at the top and the bottom will come out and then just remove it. It's a one peice round seal that goes around the rear mounting hub on the crankshaft. It's not a two peice seal like the old chevys under the rear main bearing cap. You don't have to remove the oil pan or anything like that. It's very simple to do, the hardest part is removing the trans.

Later Doug.

Does it have a ring as well

From what I have seen, it has a ring that you have to replace with it. Is that correct? Also, will I have to drain the transmission? If so I want to make sure I have all the parts that I need to do it right the first time. Parts are hard to get here in Germany.

Back