Rear speaker grilles rattle, should I make new ones? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear speaker grilles rattle, should I make new ones?

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Okay I've got dynamat installed around my rear speakers and I thought that would cure the rattling coming from the rear of my 2 door. It did help considerably but the metal speaker grille rattles like crazy. I can't just take them off cause 1. It'd look like crap. 2. I have people sitting in the back seat at least 5 days a week and if not people there's stuff back there that could slide and hit the speaker.

What could I use to make a speaker grille that wouldn't rattle??

Thanks

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had same problems with fronts....there is a piesh of paper mesh over the speaker and under the grille. take of the panel and rip away the paper screen...this solved almost allof my vibrations and distortion...ask jtang....

On the rear speaker grilles with my 2 door there is no paper mesh or cloth mesh (cloth was on my fronts). I've removed the grilles and it sounds good with out them on but I don't wanna mess up my speakers by having something sliding into them.

Steve

make sure the grills are clamped down properly. this could have been what caused it if it was fine with them removed

How should they be clamped down?

Another option is to take the grilles off and run a bead of silicone around the area where the cover comes into contact with the large plastic interior piece that is screws to. Let the silicone cure before you install them again. This will give a nice cushion so the two pieces seat nicely (quietly) together.

That's a good idea i'll think about it

Originally posted by jimabena74
i had same problems with fronts....there is a piesh of paper mesh over the speaker and under the grille. take of the panel and rip away the paper screen...this solved almost allof my vibrations and distortion...ask jtang....
Do you mean the black mesh? I've been trying to solve rattling problems for about a year. Also, do the 4 doors have the mesh in the back also? Thanks.

Back