Rear suspension question - give me your input | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear suspension question - give me your input

meyek91974

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky - Let me no f u r nearby
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer 2wd Edd.B
I have a 1997 Explorer, 4door, 4wd, Auto, 210,000miles - That much said

When I got the Ex two years ago (for only $1300) the rear sat about 1 3/4 inches lower than front; the leafs were worn from the obvious use of the tow ball.

A year ago, I did a Torsion Bar Twist, elongated sway bar end link bolts, removed rear sway bar, added a leaf in the back, put rear 2in reciever hitch in back, custom made a tire hanger for rear, took off front valance and re-mounted fog lights for "rock lights" use, cut & welded into frame a F450 2" receiver and F350 D-ring tow clevises in front, added two aux lights in grill, and put five roof bars with eight tiedown points that holds a canoe very securely.

MY QUESTION TODAY - If I take out the added leafs (which it'll sag more), then move leaf over axle (which causes 4 in lift, but it's already sagg'n), and bolt lower shock to axle mount where my rear sway bar used to be then put a 1 in shorter shackle - - WOULD THIS WORK?????

I want the extra lift to fit 35s without hopefully no cutting and no body lift. I have 31s now and 33s will currently fit.

Note, on the road I drive like a grandpa since suspension adjustments but I occasionally tow a small 12ft trailer. - if it matters:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will have more rake than you think you will. You will definately have to cut your front fender to clear 35 inch tires. Trust me, been there done that and I have a 3 inch body lift as well.

i have a superlift 4 inch kit,on both ends, and on top of that done a tt and shackles , and i had to cut to get 35's under with no rubbing,,
Doing the SOA will give you room in the back with some cutting, but getting the front up to match the back will be a chore, there is not enough twist in the t bars to get this amount of lift.
a body lift with tt and shackles gets you close, but still there would have to be some cutting,,
look at my registry and gmanpaints registry,
i have suspension lift, and he has body lift, we both have tt and shackles, and both run 35's,

I recently installed some monroe with an overload spring on the shock and it leveled my truck and raised the rear about at 1.5 inches from where it use to be. The ride is still decent as well so it worked out well for me.

I like the spring over axle idea. I would ditch those old leaf springs all together and install a new Deaver Spring pack.

Back