Rear view/back-up camera in 2014 is different from 2008 ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear view/back-up camera in 2014 is different from 2008 ?

vital

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT
I had 2008 XLT for 6 months as a lease transfer. Now I drive my own 2014 XLT. About the same packages and features, 14 has more little things from the factory like light bulb in the truck area, cut out hole for cables, etc..... but it's really the same car.

One thing I noticed differs a LOT is back-up camera. 2008 model had a GREAT camera that seemed to be close to HiDef, very bright and detailed in every weather and light condition imaginable. Not my 2014 car is equipped with what seems to be a cheap ebay "china" knock off camera. Visibility is strongly dependent on weather and light outside and video quality is nowhere near what my 2008 had.

Different cameras? Or is there some settings I need to twitch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had 2008 XLT for 6 months as a lease transfer. Now I drive my own 2014 XLT. About the same packages and features, 14 has more little things from the factory like light bulb in the truck area, cut out hole for cables, etc..... but it's really the same car.

One thing I noticed differs a LOT is back-up camera. 2008 model had a GREAT camera that seemed to be close to HiDef, very bright and detailed in every weather and light condition imaginable. Not my 2014 car is equipped with what seems to be a cheap ebay "china" knock off camera. Visibility is strongly dependent on weather and light outside and video quality is nowhere near what my 2008 had.

"Really the same car"!!! The Explorer is completely different from '08 to '14! One was body-on-frame and the new one is uni-body for one. But yes, the camera is different as is the media system which doesn't have as good of a picture.

What are you smoking? The same car? That's like saying a Fusion and an Accord are the same car.

Anyway, try cleaning the camera lens. There are no software adjustments.

Regardless of the comparison to the '08 camera, if the camera display is really bad, it might be a bad camera.

Generally speaking, the rear view cameras on recent Ford vehicles is better than other automakers, at least what I tried from GM/Nissan/Toyota.

One thing I noticed right away in going from my 2011 Explorer Limited to the 2014 Lincoln MKT is that the picture quality of the backup camera is much sharper. Closer to HD as the poster referred to as having in a prior vehicle.

Peter

In 6 years a few things have changed...... The camera in the '14 is amazingly clear and mine has a zoom feature that focuses right on the hitch. Same car, really?

Back