• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheel bearings

toocalm

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer EB
Hey guys, my '04 eddie has one of the rear wheel bearings humming, so I guess its time to replace them both, as well as rear shocks. Any recomendations on where to buy quality parts at a decent price?
Thanks

Hey guys, my '04 eddie has one of the rear wheel bearings humming, so I guess its time to replace them both, as well as rear shocks. Any recomendations on where to buy quality parts at a decent price?
Thanks

www.rockauto.com

Make sure you replace BOTH the bearing AND the hub on each side. Don't cheap out and reuse the hub. They wear together. Besides, often the hub will be damaged when it gets pressed out of the bearing. Unless you have a large shop press, plan on taking the knuckle(s) and new parts to a local shop, to have them press out the old parts, and press in the new.

Also, you may want to plan on doing the e-brake shoes/hardware while it's apart. It's much easier to get the e-brake hardware (springs) on while the knuckle is off the vehicle. It allows you angles of access you can't get once it's on the truck.

Thanks Carguy for the answer. I had some surgery a few years ago and it caused a hearing loss in my ear; what I thought was a rear bearing noise ended up to be the front drivers side bearing. I dropped it at a bud's shop this afternoon and it will be ready for me mid-morning tomorrow. Again, your input is much appreciated, this site rocks for usefull info!!! :thumbsup:

Check out Prime Choice Auto Parts for the rear struts. A few members have installed them with favorable results.

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Back