Rear wheel spin - please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheel spin - please help

Doug186828

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
My explorer has started spinning its rear passenger wheel when I am trying to turn tight corners. It is happening in all 4wd modes ie.auto/4wd/low. It feels pretty unstable at speed and as soon as I go into a very slow corner it loses traction on that wheel completely and almost spins the vehicle which is a very scary experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It spins the right rear wheel during either right or left turns?

Far out! Awaiting further guidance. imp

Doesn't make sense...

If it is spinning the right (passenger) rear wheel on right turns, that tells me the limited slip rear end isn't slipping when turning. I've not heard of that happening, usually the other way around, the limited slip slips too much.

If the rear was binding, both wheels would spin respectfully on right or left turns.
Doesn't make sense.

If the rear was binding, both wheels would spin respectfully on right or left turns.
Doesn't make sense.

If the differential is binding, the right tire will spin, trying to keep up with the left wheel , which is turning faster, going through a larger arc. BUT, you would think the left wheel would do the same thing when turning left.

Well Duh! After I made my post, I reread my98nnj post, and realized I said the same thing, just a bit differently. Blame it on senility and Alzheimers!

My explorer has started spinning its rear passenger wheel when I am trying to turn tight corners. It is happening in all 4wd modes ie.auto/4wd/low. It feels pretty unstable at speed and as soon as I go into a very slow corner it loses traction on that wheel completely and almost spins the vehicle which is a very scary experience.

After rereading this, I am thinking maybe a broken spring, shock, spring hanger, with it being unstable at speed, and trying to spin out when turning. I used to drive a two axle Kenworth with torsion bar rear suspension. When the bushings would get worn, it drove that way. With the exception of spinning the wheels on turns unless raining.

It very well could be a suspension issue and not necessarily a wheel spinning. A broken shock or spring on one side would make the truck feel unstable.

A worn out tire?

I think the original poster needs to share a few more details....left- or right turn, pavement, gravel, any recent repairs, etc...

Bill

Definitely a suspension issue. OP post some pictures of the rear end

Thanks for all the replies.
It is happening on all surfaces including dry Tarmac.
Tyres are all new
Have only noticed it when turning in one direction but will test it both ways later and update.
Suspension springs are already on my repair list. Would they make an impact even at very slow speeds?

Back