Rebuilding my LSD 8.8 IRS 2005 Explorer 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding my LSD 8.8 IRS 2005 Explorer 4x4

tundrawolf

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a manual or a book that will give me the specifications to rebuild the limited slip differential (8.8, IRS) but I haven't turned up anything. I just ordered the clutch pack kit from Summit, can anyone help me find a manual for this differential?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think it's the same as rebuilding the LSD in any 8.8.

iirc, the carriers and gears are the same between the IRS 8.8 and live 8.8 rear axles.

Is it possible to over soak the clutch pack? I plan on attempting the job tomorrow. What if I soak them overnight?

Is it possible to over soak the clutch pack? I plan on attempting the job tomorrow. What if I soak them overnight?

nope, definitely no way possible!
they'll be "soaking" in gear lube when they're in the axle ;)

Question with the rebuild...

So, everywhere I've looked, all the rebuilds of the clutch-packs had them replacing the bearings at the same time. It looks to me as though you can replace the clutch-pack without pressing off and replacing the bearings at the same time. If I don't have the tools (or experience) to play with the shims and such for preload, etc... could I just remove the carrier, replace the clutches, then put it back without having to worry about the gears being messed up? Or is there something else I'm missing about this process?

I was able to complete the task without removing the carrier or differential. I had a lot of difficulty with the small gears, aligning them was difficult so they both slid in perfectly. I also had a lot of trouble with the S spring, but I used two long nosed full sized vice grips and it went in. I used mobile 1 75-140 with a little Lucas and 1/3 bottle friction modifier. It turns smooth as butter now, and it doesn't spin when I floor it in the dirt. It only cost $70.

I should say I did remove the pumpkin, just not the internals.

Back