Receiver w/ USB Input for less than $100? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Receiver w/ USB Input for less than $100?

Look at Crutchfield again. Use coupon code 3A825 to get $20 off $100. That should make a few more "better" head units in your price range.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much to repair your stock, and get an mp3 adapter?

I really don't want the stock anymore. I'd prefer a newer deck, with more style/features. I mean really, this deck is at LEAST 8 years old- time for a small upgrade. No matter which way I swing it- with or without the USB, I'm coming back to that Clarion deck. It matches right up there with other Pioneer, Kenwood decks, AND gives me a USB to boot.

OK- here's the Top 3 picks for me- what's your opinion between them?
Kenwood KDC-MP338
JVC KD-PDR40
Clarion DB285USB

Code 3A706 works on the JVC KD-PDR40, but not on the others. I think it has to do with them being not in stock.

Sweet... I'll try that. I'm kinda leaning to the JVC now that I look at it more. I like the look of it better than the Clarion. And, like I said before, I would rarely use the USB, so it's not a REQUIREMENT- but man it would be nice to have at times.

don't know much about it, to be honest. The only thing on THAT deck is that it doesn't come with an AUX input... which, is required for me...
Any other suggestions for the $110-130 price range?

If you're really interested in budget choices the cheaper ones from Crutchfield are:

Clarion DXZ475MP $79.99
Kenwood KDC-138 $79.99

Yeah they're only CD receivers, but they're $80.

If you ever just want a CD player to buy at a brick-and-mortar store, Pioneer's DEH-2000MP, their lowest offering at $99.99 might be what you want. You can usually get these at wal-mart, too. Sometimes they have them for well under retail. I remember seeing a CD and 4 speaker package for $~70. Might be a summer thing. Even car stereo shops and the big box Best Buy/Circuit City have sales on the low-end Pioneer models.

If you can use the coupon and get a $129.99 receiver instead, that may be the way to go, though, but the extra money just gets you a few more features you might not even use. My choices for those would be:

Blaupunkt London MP37 $129.99
Blaupunkt San Diego MP27 $129.99
Pioneer DEH-P3000IB $129.99

I tend to stay away from JVC stuff, seen too many of their head units just fall apart. But JVC is better than the Boss or Roadmaster/VR3 junk.

You really should pick it out for yourself though, since the looks and the interface is a personal thing. If you really like the looks and layout of a particular stereo or brand, you might want to go with that. It's a bad idea to buy a radio that doesn't match your taste and will bug you every time you use it, just because you followed someone else's suggestion.

Wow Anime4x4! Well said ^^

Great suggestions! Here's my problems with the $80 units- either online or in stores. I still have to buy dash kit, wire harness, ford prongs to uninstall the factory deck. Everywhere charges $30-40 for this stuff, plus shipping and/or taxes. So when you add it all up, I'm at the $130 range, but getting a lower end unit. That's why I was looking at the Crutchfield $129 stuff, as it INCLUDES all the install equipment, but you get a higher end deck at the same time.

I've thought about that cheapo set at walmart- but again, for the same price I can get the $129 models at Crutchfield.

When I compared the Blauplunkt decks to the JVC, Pioneer, Kenwoods, etc... they just had much less features/power for the same money. I get that they're a decent quality- but so are the Kenwoods, etc.

That's good to know about the JVC's tho- I was planning on getting one of those, but now I just might look at the others one more time.
Thanks for all the help!

That low-end Pioneer for $99 isn't too bad. It's not much different than the $130 Kenwood I was looking at. The Kenwood has a few more features, and, even using a 10% off coupon at Best Buy, is still cheaper from Crutchfield. They still have the best pricing, when you consider no shipping or sales tax, and they include the install equipment. I found dash kits and wiring harnesses at Walmart for $20+ tax- so that saves a little money (assuming they work!) But even that Crutchfield's pricing is better. I haven't checked out the sonicelectronix site with these deks yet- but I know they were cheaper on a few items...

The benefit's of the Kenwood are that it might be a higher quality/better sound, a few more features, looks, etc. Although, the face seems to be pretty cluttered to me. But, I'd have to wait for shipping on it. The Pioneer I can go buy TODAY and get it installed asap. It's a little less features/power, but, looks cleaner. I'll probably just go pick that up today, use my 10% Best Buy coupon, and be done with it all.

Be warned that the Ford "fitsallfromthisyeartothisyear" install kits are usually not the best choice. Every "generic" install kit I have used in the past were crappy.

One of the better aftermarket brands is Metra, and their kits are usually more vehicle specific. The Crutchfield kit should be more vehicle specific also.

Great suggestions! Here's my problems with the $80 units- either online or in stores. I still have to buy dash kit, wire harness, ford prongs to uninstall the factory deck. Everywhere charges $30-40 for this stuff, plus shipping and/or taxes. So when you add it all up, I'm at the $130 range, but getting a lower end unit. That's why I was looking at the Crutchfield $129 stuff, as it INCLUDES all the install equipment, but you get a higher end deck at the same time.

I agree that IF you can get the vehicle-specific kit, the harness, and the ford tools, you'd save yourself a LOT of money and hassle, and have a better receiver, too.

When I compared the Blauplunkt decks to the JVC, Pioneer, Kenwoods, etc... they just had much less features/power for the same money. I get that they're a decent quality- but so are the Kenwoods, etc.

Funny thing about Blaupunkt is, they usually rate their decks correctly. Even though their decks are rated 45W x 4 peak power and the others are 50W x 4, and the Blaus are "18W x 4 RMS" when the others are "22W x 4 RMS", if you look at reviews and actual ratings, many radios, including the Pioneers, fall below their rated output, and put out about 14W x 4, while the Blau units put out what they're rated at. This certainly isn't true for ALL receivers, though.

Kenwood and Pioneer are pretty equal in receivers, though Pioneer is certainly more popular. If you went with either of those, rather than a 10% best buy coupon, why not order the $129 Kenwood or Pioneer (rather than the $99.99 Pioneer) from Crutchfield, get the free stuff, and not have to buy and hunt for it, then regret spending more money? If you like the clean look of the Pioneers over the Kenwood and anything else, go for it. Then you can get the 6x8" Pioneer speakers to go with it later.

huh- that's good to know about the Blau's... yeah, even using the 10% off, and buying the dash kit/harness at walmart, I'm still paying $120-130. I'd rather get a better deck from Crutchfield for that price.

I'll look at those Blau's again. I didn't know JVCs fall apart like that- I'll look at the Blau's, Pioneer, and Kenwood.
Thanks for the help!

Ive had the vr3 that everyone trashes in 2 cars for over a year no prob. it reads mp3 disk, usb and sd card. Fidelity is well within the acceptable range and with compressed mp3 music hi fidelity is a waste anyway. The only negative i see is that the volume knob is on the right side of the unit. As for all the extras your worried about me and my buddies worked that out in high school on our dads cars. yes you hafta pay for a double din dash kit if u need it. Removal tool? Ive never seen anyone including local sound guys use that. They all use a pice of clotheshanger bent in the same u shape. Wiring harness? Unless youve got some sorta warranty, cut out the ford plugs and wire directly into your sound system. Number of wires to connect via tape or connectors (i use wire nuts) will remain the same, and you've eliminated a bunch of plastic crap that rattles around in your dash. But thats just 2 cents from a cheap ******* that still treats his truck with love and respect. cant wait for yall to tell me im nuts ;)

That's true, you really don't need that wiring harness and pull out clips. I can get by without those. I agree tho- I don't know if the volume knob on the right side would drive me crazy or not. I've been reading reviews- overall, they're pretty good on that unit. Other than the songs cutting off the last 10 seconds when using the SD or USB. I'm not sure if they've fixed that yet or not. I also read that the volume knob is flimsy, and that the display screen doesn't scroll- but cuts off longer titles into unnatural blocks of text. That kinda sucks. But- to save $30, it might be worth it.

So you would be content with a double din that has an ipod adapter? cd player w/cass?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with remote for h/u?

Back