• Register Today It's free!

Reclining rear seats?

Mounty 09

Reaction score
City, State
Nothern IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
I was at the junk yard yesterday just browsing around and found about 3 2nd gen explorers that had recline rear seats. Has anybody every seen this before? I was going to get a set but only one of the sets was good and the piping was purple. I still am going to keep a lookout. Any clue what years for sure came with them?

I am pretty sure the reclining rear seats were only on '95-'97 models with leather seats. First gens did not recline, and my ex's 2000 limited didn't either, so sadly Ford probably removed the feature with either the 98 or 99 update.

No rear seats reclined gen1/gen2. In fact, I think they're all the same seat. The lever on the side is to fold them flat.

No rear seats reclined gen1/gen2. In fact, I think they're all the same seat. The lever on the side is to fold them flat.

These seat definitely reclined. They even had a diagram on the lever showing that they did. I have a 2nd gen and know that the seats only fold flat. If I would have thought about it I would have taken a picture but it was over a year ago and they are long gone.

Back