Recommendation on a thermostat brand? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendation on a thermostat brand?

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
I'm doing a coolant flush and thought while I'm at it I'd change out the original thermostat (136,000 miles. It seems to be working fine but what the hell...

Please let me know what brand thermostat you trust or for that matter which brand to avoid. I was looking at a Motorad Failsafe from Autozone but it only comes with a 1 year warranty. I can't seem to find a Stant Failsafe for my vehicle only a regular Stant. It would appear that the factory temp is 195 degrees.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The real question is why would you switch from the OEM Motorcraft thermostat after 136,000 reliable miles?

The real question is why would you switch from the OEM Motorcraft thermostat after 136,000 reliable miles?

Because nothing last forever?....and while I'm under the hood thinking about it....

Meant why change brands? Definitely overdue for replacement at 136k. I've read many bad reviews and failures of
so called "fail safe" t-stats, do a search. I believe the OEM temp is 190 degrees, should be stamped on the original.

I wasn't trying to move away from Motorcraft....just wanted to see recommendations. Thought that perhaps there might be a better product out there. I posted the question because y'all are a valuable resource and have vast experience. Thanks for the info...I'll take a look. :)

Wouldn't hurt to also throw in a new gasket for about $6 part F1VY-8255-A. You can get an OEM kit w/ thermostat and gasket on ebay for around $20

Wouldn't hurt to also throw in a new gasket for about $6 part F1VY-8255-A. You can get an OEM kit w/ thermostat and gasket on ebay for around $20

I was just thinking about the gasket and trying to find the part number. You saved me time...thanks! This is what I love about this forum. :thumbsup:

If you order from RockAuto (which I recommend) remember the 5% discount code.

Recently switched mine out for a MotoRad 190 works fine 4.0l sohc

Stick w/ OEM part # 7L3Z-8575-D

I'm really confused. I went to Amazon.com and Ebay to look up this part and the associated gasket for my vehicle and when you check the "fitness" half the time it says the parts are compatible and sometimes it says they are NOT compatible. It just depends on which website you go on and which specific vendor you select. To help me figure this out I went to the www.fordparts.com website and entered by VIN which is 1FMDU75WX2ZC16458 to lookup the thermostat and gasket part numbers I get RT-1196 at the thermo not RT-1234. When I search Ebay for RT-1196 the RT-1234 part comes up but at the bottom of the description it says RT-1196.

Does anyone have the absolutely positive part #'s guaranteed for the thermo/gasket for my vehicle. I've never had a problem trying to cross reference parts in all my years.

MOTORCRAFT RT1234
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 1L3J2C535BA, 3L3E8575AC, 3L3Z8575AC, 7L3Z8575B, 7L3Z8575C, 7L3Z8575D, C2Z8620LA, RT1178, RT1196, RT1229, RT1230, YC2Z8575AA
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5434932&cc=1377671

MOTORCRAFT RG571
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): F1VY8255A
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=383867

Duh! Just because it's Friday is no excuse for me being lazy and not reading...LOL! Thanks for letting me seeing the forest as I was sooo focused on that tree.

Not entirely your fault. Amazon and Ebay are light years behind RockAuto when it comes to fitment accuracy and pics. Have fun! :D

On the topic of thermostats recently I noticed on my temp gauge that the truck does not warm up like it usually would. It goes up 2 or 3 notches before cooling off again back down to the first notch. The gauge would normally stay a little under midway. I'm guessing it's a faulty thermostat? Coolant level was a little under the cold fill range but I don't see any leaks. Got 91,000 miles on the truck.

Back