ReDLiNeZL'S S.A.S'd. '96 Ranger Motor Swap 2.3L to 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ReDLiNeZL'S S.A.S'd. '96 Ranger Motor Swap 2.3L to 4.0 SOHC

Well I bought a 98 Ford Explorer with 4.0 SOHC with no tranmission with plans to swap it in my 96 Ranger 2.3 4banger mud bog truck. im hoping this will go semi easy being that i just need the motor to run, with no worries about emissions, check engine and other dash lights being on, a/c, inspection and so forth.... so am I right, or am I in over my head??

Since I got the entire Explorer I should be good because i got the entire engine harness, computer and motor right there, just need to get my 2.3 and harness pulled out of the Ranger...

So PLEASE, HELP and give me some pointers. Also, I still need to find a 5spd trans, bell housing, flywheel etc for this 4.0..... ANYONE? I'm in Lancaster PA.

FUTURE 4.0 SOHC HOLDER
DSCF1212.jpg

OUT WITH THE OLD 2.3
CIMG0114.jpg

THE DONOR
DSCF1230.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes since you have the entire other truck just pull the wiring off yours and swap in all the 4.0 wiring.

Should be pretty easy since you have the truck and everything is in place. I would take extra pictures of the donor ranger. That way if you get stumped you have some reference pictures for guidance.

Yes since you have the entire other truck just pull the wiring off yours and swap in all the 4.0 wiring.

Should be pretty easy since you have the truck and everything is in place. I would take extra pictures of the donor ranger. That way if you get stumped you have some reference pictures for guidance.

so the harness i need is one attached to just the computer right? and then i wont need everysingle connection, just to make motor run...

If im correct (but once you get the wiring harness connector on the firewall loose you can judge if they match) you will need everything that is under the hood but since you dont want air you can leave that off.

If im correct (but once you get the wiring harness connector on the firewall loose you can judge if they match) you will need everything that is under the hood but since you dont want air you can leave that off.

so pull my 2.3 and the computer and attached harness..
and switch in the 4.0 and that computer and attached harness, and just ditch the stuff i wont need..

Thats exactly what i would do

Also swap the radiator too (but i think you know that)

You might get lucky and just swap the motor mounts over. Im not sure how the front frame and crossmember of the 2.3 rangers looks so i cant tell ya.

I would assume that its the same frame with different motor mounts.

eventually ill figure it out, but the motor is out and on stand now, just need to get ranger ripped apart

Back