Solved - Regulator window switch working in reverse - up is down/down is up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Regulator window switch working in reverse - up is down/down is up

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

SteveTheBeave

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Hill, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
My rear passenger window in my '02 crapped out.

I replaced it with an aftermarket regulator/motor assembly. It works, but at both the master switch and rear door window switch, to put it up you press down and vice versa.

No wiring was changed.

Any ideas on why this is happening or how to fix it?

I am guessing that maybe wires are crossed on the motor from the factory?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am guessing that maybe wires are crossed on the motor from the factory?

That would be my guess too.. Otherwise the only thing I can think of is that you somehow put the connector onto the door wire backwards... Which in my experience isn't very likely as those connectors are normally keyed.

~Mark

Ditto. The motor wires are backwards.
I've seen it many times, even in portable phone batteries. They arrive with the Red on negative.:mad2:

This also happened with mine when I replaced the regulator. I just reversed the wires in the connector on the harness.

A set of jewelers screwdrivers allows you to release a locking tab and poke the ends of the wires out of every connector I have met on this car. First there is a plastic insert the keeps you from poking the locking tabs. The insert has a locking tab too!

So, remove the insert if it has one, depress the locking tab, and pull the end of the wire out. Reverse wires as necessary.
Drugstore magnifying glasses and daylight help a lot!

Yup. Harness wired wrong. Just flipped it around.

I couldn't get the wires out of the harness, so I just shaved down the plastic ridges on the harness in order to make it fit the other way.

Thanks, all.

Back