remote starter cranks, but doesn't start the motor?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

remote starter cranks, but doesn't start the motor??

Bandido

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI sometimes Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I installed the Bulldog remote starter. I don't have that bypass module but I thought, when I install the "factory alarm shut down wire" connection it might work.

I put everything togehter and when I push the start button the motor cranks for about one second and then stops cranking and tries that again after 5-10 seconds.

I didn't install the tach input yet, what is that for anyway?

any comments are appreciated...
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You ignition is looking for the PATS chip in the key. Since you don't have the bypass(I'm assuming thats what this is for) its not going to start. Try placing you key in the ignition and hitting the start button.

Tach wire goes to your ECM tach signal wire, you DO need this. I also assume you need the PATS bypass module.

OH ok...
1)where do I get this PATS bypass?
2)Now it doesn't even start with using the key anymore!!!! IT cranks but then doesn't start sounding like the batterie is to weak, even though I have a batterie charger plugged onto the batterie!!

huskyfan23 said:
Tach wire goes to your ECM tach signal wire, you DO need this. I also assume you need the PATS bypass module.

can I get the tach signal from behind the gauge cluster? Or do I have to take it from the engine compartment, like the manual recommends?

Run it to the engine compartment (that's where the ECM is). Bulldog should give you the ECM wire color, just tap the tach wire from the brain into the ECM tach wire. There should also be a learn routine. If it can't learn the tach signal you may have a problem with your wiring.

Check the voltage of the battery to make sure you've got enough to start. I'm thinking you may have something wired incorrectly if you can't start with your key. I don't have a second gen so can't help with the PATS, but I think that may be your problem.

ok, false alarm... Husky you were right. The batterie charger wasn't charging enough, when I turned it to start and then started the motor it worked.

And when the key is in the ignition, the remote starter works, too!

So now I just need the PATS thing. right? where can I get that?

Oh and Husky, are you sure that I need the tach wire? It works now...

oh, yeah that makes sense to install that!!! thanks for the info and thanks for the link!!

i have heard of people taping a spare key under the dast so that ist close enough to read the pats key when you try and start the truck....not the best solution, but it will work

hm... I'll try that until I get my bypass module.
thanks

Back