removal of plastic piece on front of rear fender wells. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removal of plastic piece on front of rear fender wells.

russell bruesch

Reaction score
City, State
new buffalo michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 limited explorer
Has anyone tried to remove the plastic pieces that are hanging down below the front rear wheel wells.? They are bolted to the undercarrage with two screws that are easily taken off but there is something else holding the plastic piece inside the fender well. There does not seem to be a way to get into the fender well to see what is holding it in place. Anyone been succesesful in removing it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone tried to remove the plastic pieces that are hanging down below the front rear wheel wells.? They are bolted to the undercarrage with two screws that are easily taken off but there is something else holding the plastic piece inside the fender well. There does not seem to be a way to get into the fender well to see what is holding it in place. Anyone been succesesful in removing it?
Not sure why you would want to remove them. They are there for a purpose. Removing them will affect the aerodynamics in a negative way.

There was a thread months ago on these plastic pieces. I know one person removed them with no ill consequences.

Speculation was that they are for moving the vehicle down the assembly line or transport but I have not looked at mine. Just got my vehicle yesterday.

Does anyone know exactaly what they are there for?Doesn't make sence that they are part of the assembly process. If they are it would be a very poor design to leave such a out of place part in plain view.

I was told by my dealer that they were there for the option of running boards, they integrated with them somehow. He was not sure but thought this is why they were installed.

I don't know what they are for, but my wife's 2007 Lexus RX-350 has them in front of the front wheels.

I don't know what they are for, but my wife's 2007 Lexus RX-350 has them in front of the front wheels.
My '09 Highlander had some kind of piece that extended down in front of the front wheels as well. Perhaps to help channel the air downward??
These pieces definitely have nothing to do with the vehicle's assembly otherwise they would have been removed at the end of the line. They seem to be more rubber than plastic as mine are quite flexible. But then in 95 degree weather, as we have today, many things are more flexible.

Back