Remove and replace differential mount insulator bushing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove and replace differential mount insulator bushing

kware1

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
So i"ve narrowed down the violent shaking in the 02 Eddie Bauer v8 to a differential mounting bolt and bushing. The bolt is still there whichh makes believe it must be the bushing thats bad.

I ordered a new set from Ford. In the meantime I was wondering how am i going to get the old one out. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I figured it would be an easy job as long as you had the right tools. I'm just gonna bring it to the shop to save some aggravation.

I figured it would be an easy job as long as you had the right tools. I'm just gonna bring it to the shop to save some aggravation.

I took my diff out to install a locker so I have taken out these bolts. They are simple to take out. Drop the spare and you have alot of room.

It would take 30 minutes max even with just a 3/8 ratchet and a cheater bar.

I was just concerned about getting the old bushing out. For all I know it could be out already!

I was just concerned about getting the old bushing out. For all I know it could be out already!

Fair enough. I didn't have to take the bushings out so I guess they could be a pain to take out.

I know what you mean though. I hate to drop a couple hundred bucks on something I coukd do myself, but when I'm in the middle of it and find theres a tool or part I don't have on hand, i'm willing to pay any price! Lol

I know what you mean though. I hate to drop a couple hundred bucks on something I coukd do myself, but when I'm in the middle of it and find theres a tool or part I don't have on hand, i'm willing to pay any price! Lol

I hear ya. I try to hold off and do repairs like this in the summer when I am using my bike as my primary form of transportation.. That being said, I've had to find clever ways to carry things like brake rotors, calipers, steering components on the back of a Harley lol.

Lol. I had to ride my bicycle a couple of weeks ago to pick up brake pads because they did not come with set I ordered off ebay.

Back