• Register Today It's free!

Remove Running Boards

jconnway

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I'm dying to get rid of the running boards on my 00' Eddie but I know there are going to be holes and the unfinished looking rockers behind them. I know that there are many Explorers out there without running boards; instead they have a lower profile rocker trim.

Check out the red XLT with the grey fenders flares here:

Ignore the side steps I'm just talking about the grey trim piece

Where can I get those! What I basically want is to have no side step or running board but still have everything look finished.. I see that XLTs with grey fender flares had side steps that extended out from underneath the rocker and they had this trim panel there... thats what I'm trying to find, it would line up perfectly with the Eddie Bauer fender flares.

Are these the correct parts? They don't look like it to me.. I'm sure this is something simple but I can't for the life of me find the pieces I'm after!

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think a better question here is: for the XLT models with grey fender flares, are those the same flares as the Eddie Bauer ones? If so the rocker trim between them should fit an Eddie Bauer

Those flares and the EB flares are different I'm pretty sure. Far as where to get that body kit... junkyard.

Im planning to remove mine too. I have an XLT.

I was going to try to hit up my local pick and pull to see about getting the inserts that will cover up the holes.

Im hoping this doesnt affect my fenders. Thinking about it(X is at home in the garage) I dont think my running boards touch my fenders. I could be wrong though.

^is your XLT one of the ones with the grey fender flares?

You can get plastic sheet steel plugs (ACE Hardware, etc.) that will fill the holes. I prefer the look of no boards or trim at all, similar to the 1st gen up until 93-94 I believe, when the stepped trim piece was introduced.

I haven't got around to plugging mine yet so I couldn't tell you what size sheet steel plugs to get.

Another thread poster claims the quick plasic nuts will fit.. Dunno, they look too small to me.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Fender_Bumper_Shield_Retainer_GM_Ford_Chrysler_p/a11146.htm

You can get plastic sheet steel plugs (ACE Hardware, etc.) that will fill the holes. I prefer the look of no boards or trim at all, similar to the 1st gen up until 93-94 I believe, when the stepped trim piece was introduced.

I haven't got around to plugging mine yet so I couldn't tell you what size sheet steel plugs to get.

Another thread poster claims the quick plasic nuts will fit.. Dunno, they look too small to me.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Fender_Bumper_Shield_Retainer_GM_Ford_Chrysler_p/a11146.htm

Yeah I know I could plug the holes I just wanted to have the trim piece and paint it to match the fenders since I really like the two tone.

My 97 XLT has factory boards and zero rocker panel rust. I am 90% sure that the boards help with it. The people without rust on them seem to frequently be the people with RBs.

I could be wrong but it seems to be a trend I have noticed.

^is your XLT one of the ones with the grey fender flares?

yes they are grey and dont match anything. quite weird. dealer add on?

yes they are grey and dont match anything. quite weird. dealer add on?

There seem to be quite a few of those out there. I'm pretty sure they are the same exact flares used on the Eddie Bauers.. could you snap some pictures to compare?

There seem to be quite a few of those out there. I'm pretty sure they are the same exact flares used on the Eddie Bauers.. could you snap some pictures to compare?

yes ill get some on here in the next couple of days. Ill be off so I can since the X sits in the garage.

Back