Removing oil filter bung to install oil filter relocation kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing oil filter bung to install oil filter relocation kit

1995 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Springs, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT '97 XLT '97 Mounty
I am currently in the process of adding a filter relocation kit to my 1997 V8 in order to get rid of the factor filter mount and cooler assembly which leaks like crazy. I have removed the cooler and am now looking at where it mounted to the side of the block. I need to remove the factory bung in order to replace it with the one that will allow me to mount up the Trans dapt kit that I am using. I am following the thread here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341372

The factory bung is proving quite diffilcult to removing to the low profile of the hex head on it. Anyone have any tips to aid in the removal of the factory bung?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm sure that there's some special tool to do this with, but i'd just jam 2 nuts together on the bung and unscrew it. to find out what size nuts, i'd take an oil filter to the hardware store and find a bolt to fit it.

It should be pipe thread iirc

Thanks everyone. Ended up borrowing a long handled 1 1/4 inch wrench from a mechanic at work. Finally gave me enough leverage to get it free.

Back