Removing Oil filter Adapter 5.0l | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Oil filter Adapter 5.0l

JJC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLS
There is an oil leak coming from the oil filter adapter on my 98 5.0l v8, but we cant get any tools in there to get the bolt off. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's very hard to reach with virtually everything in place.

I tried to swap mine for the oil cooler version, and to replace the o-rings. I got the old one off with a lot of frustration by using one hand with a ratchet, and wrench when it was easier in places. Then I discovered the oil cooler short hose cannot be installed without removing the water pump.

So if you have the oil cooler adapter, stop until you're prepared to replace the water pump at the same time.

There is just much room to get a socket or wrench on the bolt and turn it half a hex side distance, to be able to then reposition and do it again. If you have to do it, it'll take a lot of time, and make your hand sore. But installing it is easier so good luck. I suggest removing more parts before going at it again.

It's very hard to reach with virtually everything in place.

I tried to swap mine for the oil cooler version, and to replace the o-rings. I got the old one off with a lot of frustration by using one hand with a ratchet, and wrench when it was easier in places. Then I discovered the oil cooler short hose cannot be installed without removing the water pump.

So if you have the oil cooler adapter, stop until you're prepared to replace the water pump at the same time.

There is just enough room to get a socket or wrench on the bolt and turn it half a hex side distance, to be able to then reposition and do it again. If you have to do it, it'll take a lot of time, and make your hand sore. But installing it is easier so good luck. I suggest removing more parts before going at it again.

Thank you for your response, it is most likely just the gasket that needs to be replaced, so the adapter should be fine, my Dad has a good air gun(He`s a former mechanic). So we are going to look for and attachment that will let us get it from an angle, and we think we might be able to go in through the wheel well after removing the shroud.

I will update afterwards.

Thank you for your response, it is most likely just the gasket that needs to be replaced, so the adapter should be fine, my Dad has a good air gun(He`s a former mechanic). So we are going to look for and attachment that will let us get it from an angle, and we think we might be able to go in through the wheel well after removing the shroud.
As far as I remember, there is no gasket, but a couple O-rings: a large one under the adapter and a small one under the bolt head. People have reported a lot of trouble finding a replacement for the large O-ring. I'd suggest you obtain that O-ring before attempting to remove the adapter.

Ditto, the last I knew(last Spring), Ford will still make one of the o-rings, but the other you will have to search for an aftermarket version. They are available, but I forgot if it was Felpro or another brand. Using the OEM part number turned up choices when I got them about three years ago.

seems like the oil adapter is one of the weak link on these cars. I had the same issue on my 98 SOHC and after reading all the horror stories, I caved and paid a ridiculous amount of money to have someone else do it. Good Luck.

The block adapter can be removed/fixed/replaced in the truck without removing too much junk
The 98 style has no built in oil cooler so you are just replacing two O rings
The O rings are the same size as the 302 oil filters...hint hint
I am able to do this in the truck working from underneath and through the wheel well it has been a while but I have removed the old 96-97 style and replaced with the 98 style a few times
It can be done

Im trying to avoid paying 500 dollars to have it done, and I was wondering if the gasket wasn`t an O ring. I think I did see some by felpro on eBay, but I wasn`t sure. It`s good to know that ford still makes them. Thank you for your responses.

We were able to get the bolt off pretty easily after getting a longer 1/2 inch ratchet, and some 6-point metric sockets. As for the o-rings, napa had the right ones at their warehouse and ordered them for us. Just wish I could find a replacement for the banjo bolt that holds it onto the block that doesn`t cost $75 from ford.

For anyone who is interested here is the part number for the adapter assembly: F87Z-6881-CA; Banjo Bolt part number: C9AZ-6890-A(It`s also used in the 460). Those are the only parts numbers I have.

Back