removing the maf sensor from the tube? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removing the maf sensor from the tube?

psychotic

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP: '02 V8 Limited 4WD
I have the star bit i needed to remove one screw on the MAF sensor, but the other diagnol screw has a black sort of plastic seal thing that is inside the opening on the screw, what is it? how do i get it out? it is like it was melted, then put in there and it hardened...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you get the star bit to remove the first screw from the MAF sensor? I think the little black is wax, melted to set on top of the screw so Fraud knows whether or not you've removed the second screw.
Karl

Its damn hard for wax. I removed the first screw with a star bit (T-20 i believe) from auto zone, it has the hole in the middle that fits the notch on the screw. I just decided to spray the wires through the housing, because i couldn't melt the wax with a soddering gun, and i couldn't scrape it off either.

i swear that i just read a post or some sort or another website that said "DO NOT SPRAY ANY KINDA CRAP/CLEANER INTO THE MAF TO CLEAN THE FILAMENTS." they are extremely delicate and you need to use a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the filaments. also do not leave them wet for they'll jack up readings or something like that. can someone else vouch for me?

There's a thread under General Explorations about removing the MAF. I think that's the thread warning against damage to the MAF. I also should have re-read it because the thread tells you where to get the tool to remove the sensor!

Karl

yeah i have the right tool, I used throttle body cleaner (also for air intake systems) its safe.... and i only pressed the button down on the can half way (it probably didn't spray with as much force as air that passes by them during intake anyways. The only reason i can't get the wires out is because one of the screws has one sort of coating over it (maybe a hard wax) that is put in the opening so you can't get it out, I just left the wires in the metal housing and sprayed in through the openings. BTW after cleaning the MAF and throttle body, my accel is a lot better, and rough idle is half way gone... its still not perfect though.

That wax or plastic can be picked out with a knife. Thats how i did mine. The throttle body cleaner is for just that, a throttle body. Remove the tube going to the throttle body and squirt in there will giving throttle, or the best way is to remove the TB and scrub it down.

Back