• Register Today It's free!

removing top speed limiter

Velocity4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Essex England
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer
hi guys ive brought my self an obd -obdII diagnostic equipment that goes on my laptop does anyone know what software i need to remove the top speed limiter as im not sure if the software ive got will do it as it does seem to do a lot or is it not done through the obd-II conector

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my sniper tunnin kit had the option, but it was desgined to do this, although it had simple step by step boxes it worked really well, never seen a p plate move even faster till the headgasket blew lol

also you want to watch out the speed on your tyres, alot of them are rated for 109mph, i find that doin 115mph on them in the wet is very bad and aquaplains madly, im lookin into getting a set of raod tyres rated for 140mph and obviously a set for offroading.

explorer racing?

hi guys have i missed the post about explorer racing. isn't 120 fasts enough on the road. Ive had mine up to 115 (on speedo) don't think i want to go much faster without a lot of mods to suspension /tyres /and brakes. cheers Chris

i was going to get some new wheels with better speed rated tyres so that should be fine ill keep my old wheels for off roading

Diagnostic software won't remove the speed limiter. You need a new ECM tune. I suggest getting a programmer from www.hensonperformance.com The owner is Jah81592 here on the forum. He's made countless guys on here very happy with their purchase.

what sort of money do you think it will cost as i dont want to spend to much removing the limiter as ill only use it the once

my sniper tunnin kit had the option, but it was desgined to do this, although it had simple step by step boxes it worked really well, never seen a p plate move even faster till the headgasket blew lol

does this sniper tunnin kit plug in through the obd socket if so do you know if i can get the software for my laptop?

yes it fits into the obd2 port but not only do you need the software you need the flash box to safley do it, i bough the kit off ebay USA and cost 190 quid, due to the econamy the £ to $ rate is low so its prob at 220+ now.

what sort of money do you think it will cost as i dont want to spend to much removing the limiter as ill only use it the once

It's $389US or so. I really would suggest it over the sniper tuning. Not that there is anything wrong with sniper, but at least when you buy the tuner with custom tunes from James you know your it will be safe. You could do a lot of damage with the sniper tuning if you don't know what your doing.

i might just have to ask ukexplorer to do it for me and ill pay for his time as croydon is not to far from me ......
thanks for the response guys

well i am restricted to the amount of vehicals i can flash as the supplier doesnt want me to abuse there software, im given 2 bullets (software term for 2 vehicals but can be reused over as i modified it but only on the same vehical i started each on) iv used one on mine and my dad has used one on his so iv no bullets to give. only place i can find that sells them is http://www.snipertuningsfla.com/SPECIAL.html for $219 which is probably better for you to buy the software/kit and have the 2 bullets that are given for free on yours from ebay, remember if you come to sell the car you must return it to stock to retrieve your bullet back other wise youll end up buyin bullets that will be worth more then the software and kit. i hope this helps

cheers thats exactly what im after time for some price hunting

the one i bought off ebay was worth the deal about over half year ago due to the £ to $ rate at the time,

im gonna have to pay through the nose for it i think im gonna do some more bits before i invest
i.e. decats custom exhaust supercharger kit (if i can find one cheap enough)

im gonna have to pay through the nose for it i think im gonna do some more bits before i invest
i.e. decats custom exhaust supercharger kit (if i can find one cheap enough)

im aiming for abit of oomth for mine but i rarley ge time to go about it.

i know how that feels i havent even had the chance to wash mine its filthy

What is the limiter on my 98 V8 explorer? I never tried to hit it, i know my 02 ranger limits at 92mph

What is the limiter on my 98 V8 explorer? I never tried to hit it, i know my 02 ranger limits at 92mph
They vary. My Mounty will go around 107 on the GPS. The 31s squeeze a few more mph out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They vary. My Mounty will go around 107 on the GPS. The 31s squeeze a few more mph out.
Ok, so mine's probably the same, thanks, ill find out for sure, eventually

Back