• Register Today It's free!

Repair Costs for Hail Damage

Black Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
New York, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Last week, we were hit pretty hard with a massive hail storm. Blew out over 25 car windows on my block alone. Ended up with destroyed windshield and over 20 softball sized dents on the hood, roof, and one side of the vehicle, over $7000 worth of damage. They are replacing the hood entirely (didn't realize it was aluminum) and need to do extensive body work. Given the headliner will be down to fix the 10+ dents on the roof, any suggestions on addressing the "Tin Roof" issue. Given its a leased vehicle (only 3 months old) im not sure how much i want to invest in addressing this problem. Dynamat? Foam? Any ideas? It has no sunroof. BTW, someone was telling me that they saw one of the Vista Roofs smashed from the storm. I can only imagine what that would take to fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like it is, I think he's asking about fixing the roof/rain noise issue since the headliner will be down anyway...

Thank god insurance did cover it ( No Fault) and didn't nickel and dime us or the body shop. I may have paid a higher premium for comprehensive but it was sure worth it in this case. My questions was what other owners have done to address the issue. I will look into Batmans fix. Any other suggestions?

No pun intened but it's a lease you got it fix great but let it go and hope that if you lease a next one they have done something about it !!

You could always layer some extreme dynamat on the flat surfaces of the roof after it is repaired but I think your over thinking a lease vehicle to be honest.

thanks everyone. My thinking was getting it covered under the insurance improvements and we are good friends with the body shop. But as you all say, its not worth sinking money into a leased vehicle.

I have a hood on Ebay for sale, its has one small dent that a person could live with. Its from hail too. Its very usable and can be had much less than new. Its silver

Just one point please beaware the what ever shop you are useing make sre the work is up to par because that when the dealer at your return of the vehicle will be very picky. And rule of thumb when you return ex you dont have to mention about the repairs let them do there job !! So like the saying goes in a CLOSED mouth the fly wont get in !!!!!

Back