Repetitive Clicking in Dash

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So, I've got an issue I googled first, but can't find a definite answer for. On my 01 Eddie Bauer it's got a new repetitive clicking in the dash, around 5 seconds inbetween clicks, even if you turn the climate controls completely off, it's a non stop clicking. That the blend door actuator? I don't especially wanna go throwing things at it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could be the blend door actuator. They tend to strip the plastic gears inside.

Open your glove box, squeeze the sides to get it open all the way, unplug the connector you'll see right on top of the heater plenum. That's the blend door actuator. If the clicking stops you have your answer. It's happened to me twice. Once on a 2000 Monty and once on my '01 EB. They're fun to replace because of the rear screw that is almost impossible to get at.

Do you have the EATC? Run a climate control test.
I could be the blend door actuator. They tend to strip the plastic gears inside.

Open your glove box, squeeze the sides to get it open all the way, unplug the connector you'll see right on top of the heater plenum. That's the blend door actuator. If the clicking stops you have your answer. It's happened to me twice. Once on a 2000 Monty and once on my '01 EB. They're fun to replace because of the rear screw that is almost impossible to get at.
The top of the blend door that is driven by the actuator likes to break too. Dorman actually sells a very good replacement, I have it in 10years.

Do you have the EATC? Run a climate

The top of the blend door that is driven by the actuator likes to break too. Dorman actually sells a very good replacement, I have it in 10years.

I have EATC's and manual control vehicles (don't know about the OP). Both current EATC actuators have broken, stripping the small gear inside the automatic actuator and the manual actuator just stopped working.

I have EATC's and manual control vehicles (don't know about the OP). Both current EATC actuators have broken, stripping the small gear inside the automatic actuator and the manual actuator just stopped working.
Did you check the blend door upper pivot with a mirror?

Did you check the blend door upper pivot with a mirror?

All 3 blend doors were fine. Replaced the manual actuator and problem solved. Took apart the two EATC actuators. Both failed in the same way. Stripped gears.

Well it doesn't matter what you do with the EATC (It's an Eddie Bauer truck), it's just the same clicking, so I'll have a look at the actuator, since I checked and it does seem to be switching from heat to AC and changing vents and working other than the clicking.

Back