Replace '98 AWD T-case with spare from a '97? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace '98 AWD T-case with spare from a '97?

TBMounty50

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer 5.0
CV joint in front prop shaft is shot on my '98 AWD. I have a spare shaft from a '97 but it uses the double U-joint instead of CV and has the wrong yoke. I also have the T-case from the '97 and don't mind switching the two out to save the money on a new shaft. Crazy right? It would give me a reason to drink beer. Plus U-joints are cheaper to replace. Besides the forward output yoke, are there any other differences between the two? And yes the '97 is AWD. Please help me help my crippled truck. She was not happy being reduced to two wheel drive!

It should work. Your 98 uses an axle sensor for speed where the 97 I believe uses the VSS on the t case. So you just wont use that connection. Also I believe they changed to the CV style because of vibrations. Think you may feel a tiny bit more but other than that its a straight swap over, long as the t case like you mentioned has the u joint yoke instead of the CV cup type one.

Cool. This is only a quick, temporary fix to get all four going till my budget recovers and I swap in a 4406. Thanks.

Back