• Register Today It's free!

98 merc awd t-case problems

stocked

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer AWD V8
i just wanted other opinions on this, my friend's mom has a 98 Mountaineer AWD but it has the front d/s, differential, and axels out from the previous owner because the front d/s drive chain had stretched out and would pop and all that good crap and they didn't want to replace it a guess.. Anyway Now they are having problems out of it to where they are going down the road and it will seem like it pops into neutral but it grinds and sounds like the gears are trying to catch. I think its just the transfercase, because the trans itself shifts fine and doesn't hesitate or slip any even for being a ford trans. I had the transfer case in my old blazer (part time electric shift 4wd instead of awd though) do the same noises when i would try to shift into 4wd hi or low when the switcher motor was bad, so i think that if they just got a new t-case they would be fine. Anyone have any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's probably not the tcase, the AWD tcase operates by itself it doesn't really do too much as far as changing operation... if the chain in the tcase was damaged.. I don't think you would even be able to go anywhere.. sounds like a tranny issue..

It's probably not the tcase, the AWD tcase operates by itself it doesn't really do too much as far as changing operation... if the chain in the tcase was damaged.. I don't think you would even be able to go anywhere.. sounds like a tranny issue..

the only thing the chain does is supply power the the front driveshaft... And the trans shifts fine and has all its gears so i think the trans itself is fine. I can actually hear a noise coming from the t-case, so i think thats the problem.

If you search, you can find an exploded diagram of this tcase.. '4405' I believe.. also.. these tcases aren't too much from a junk yard... if a replacement is actually needed.

If you search, you can find an exploded diagram of this tcase.. '4405' I believe.. also.. these tcases aren't too much from a junk yard... if a replacement is actually needed.

Borg Warner 4404 i think for the one i'm trying to figure out.

Does the tailshaft for a 2wd bolt on the trans? if it does can we just bolt it on instead of a transfercase? i mean the front diff and axels are already gone anyway so whats the point of putting another transfercase in?

so the tailshaft/output shaft does just bolt on then and i could just snag a 2wd one and be good to go?

so the tailshaft/output shaft does just bolt on then and i could just snag a 2wd one and be good to go?

Ah, no, it does not bolt on. The output shaft is the very first part which goes into the trans case. All of the trans has to be disassembled to remove the output shaft.

How long has the truck been run without the front driveshaft? No one has driven one long enough to kill the AWD, you may have found that point. The viscous clutch heats up the fluid when it sees slippage between front and rear, so it in theory would not slip, but simply drive the front at the rear speed easily.

I'd also suggest swapping the trans or making it 2wd, going back with AWD may be just as much work.

Ah, no, it does not bolt on. The output shaft is the very first part which goes into the trans case. All of the trans has to be disassembled to remove the output shaft.

How long has the truck been run without the front driveshaft? No one has driven one long enough to kill the AWD, you may have found that point. The viscous clutch heats up the fluid when it sees slippage between front and rear, so it in theory would not slip, but simply drive the front at the rear speed easily.

I'd also suggest swapping the trans or making it 2wd, going back with AWD may be just as much work.

um.. its been driven like that for over 2 years lol. And i have no idea how many miles.. It isn't just missing the frint driveshaft the whole front assembly is gone, axels, differential and all. the hubs on either side have the axels ends still in them that have been cut off the axels when they were removed. Were going to be getting a new transfercase in the next couple days, should i look into all the front end parts too or will it actually last without them?

I wouldn't spend money on the AWD and still leave it 2WD. I'd go one way or the other, the 2WD trans parts will not be expensive, but R&Ring the trans will be many hours of work. Given the costs of the AWD, the parts already removed, versus the 2WD output shaft and tail housing, make it 2WD. But then again I like the AWD or next my A4WD.

For the DIY person the AWD and front drive parts would be easier.

Just a thought....

Nevermind......I had a brain fart

Back