Replace broken trunk shock??

B94Sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Okay, I just got my Ex back from the tranny shop, went to open the trunk, and noticed that I actually had to lift the trunk to get it open, and it would not open all the way. Upon closer inspection, I found that my driver's side shock had been torn off at the upper welds and was now wedged between the body and the trunk, bent and useless. So I took it off, and now my trunk will not stay open with only one shock.

Obviously the tranny shop will not own up to this, because they had no reason to open the trunk, and the only other person who drives the Ex, my little brother, is not admitting to breaking it either. I suppose it could have just broken on its own, but it seems odd.

Anyway... How can I replace this shock? Like I said, the top bracket is torn off at the welds, but the bottom bracket is still okay. The shock itself is bent and will not move anymore. Where can I find a replacement and how can I get the bracket back on? Am I stuck having to get it welded back? Maybe some big self-tapping screws? :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should see if you can get welded back on. The only reason they would be in the cargo area is if you had automatic ride control.

There was a recall that was done on my '94 where it riveted a different bracket to the body. I'll send a pic if U like. I would think the manufatcure should take the hit. It was an unsafe situation. No way would I use self tapping screws. You need a structural fastener do to the relatively high load.

i too heard of a recall on this, check ford i bet you could tell them you had it open after you cleaned it one day, and you went inside and it slammed shut ...but there was a reall on the mounts, something about the welds

Ford has a recall and if the recall is still active the fix should be free . Call the local ford dealer or do a search on the web for recalls for your vehicle .

Back