Replace factory radio/single CD unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace factory radio/single CD unit

proradvlx

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT AWD
Hi guys! Have a 2004 XLT with the single CD unit - Winter 2014 the CD player started acting weird, and finally died with a CD still in the unit. Bought another unit on line, installed, worked great..... for about four months. Now that unit, when you put a CD in will go quiet for about a second or two, then go back to Radio, with "ERR" and "No CD'' message on the screen. Unit will eject the CD, but not play.
So - two questions:
1. Does anyone know a good reputable site where I could purchase another unit as such?
2. Also seen same type units on line that store had added a MP3 mini plug in to the face of the unit, so to use your MP3 player in the SUV. That would be awesome, just would like to know if anyone had switched over to this unit, and does it work/how well does it work.

Thanks for the help!!

Are you looking for a factory unit or aftermarket?

Crutchfield.com is the go to place for car audio.

Would like to stay with a factory unit. Put an aftermarket unit in an old S-10 I had, and got a window broken out of the driver door, and found pry-marks on the dash by the radio housing.... so do not want to "bait" that hook... If I can find one, a factory radio is OK with me..... Would LOVE to upgrade to a factory Navigation unit, but everything I have read about that project is WAY too complicated for me.

You can try a wrecking yard for one, or a U-pull it. But I'd recommend Crutchfield also. They'll send you everything you need including installation instructions. And get one with the removable faceplate.

Twenty years ago, I had a Blaupunkt with a security code needed if the unit was removed. $500. It got stolen while I was playing softball. I don't know if they ever figured out how to use, but one thing for sure was that I couldn't use it.

Back